• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't move big file to my HD!

Reaction score
Hey, I am facing this problem. I can't move movies or other big files (over 4GB) and some movies with .mkv format to my WD my passport 1TB.

My HD format is FAT32. I found out that this format doesnt allow to transport file over 4GB. also found out about exFAT format, but i don't really understand it.

Please help me to find the solution
1. Can someone give me advice? Should I reformat my HD to exFAT?
I need my HD to be flexible(available to write and read) on both mac and windows. Also I kept many movies sized over 4GB.

2. How about the .mkv movie files?

thanks in advance!;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
My HD format is FAT32. I found out that this format doesnt allow to transport file over 4GB.
That's correct.

Should I reformat my HD to exFAT?
If you want to use your HD with OSX and Windows with file sizes over 4GB, but don't want to use NTFS, then yes. However, you will loose what is already on the HD, so make a backup if you can.

How about the .mkv movie files?
What about them?

See here for more info on exFAT:
exFAT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Personally, recommend using NTFS for drives that will go back and forth between OS X / Windows and spend the $20 for Paragon's NTFS for Mac.

OP
I
Reaction score
Personally, recommend using NTFS for drives that will go back and forth between OS X / Windows and spend the $20 for Paragon's NTFS for Mac.

What's Paragon's NTFS for mac? Is it some kind of software install to the HD?
thanks for respons by the way

OP
I
Reaction score
That's correct.

If you want to use your HD with OSX and Windows with file sizes over 4GB, but don't want to use NTFS, then yes. However, you will loose what is already on the HD, so make a backup if you can.

What about them?

See here for more info on exFAT:
exFAT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks a lot for answering my quests! I went to ur wiki link, try to find what's exFAT's negative point, but I can't understand any of it!

would u explain to me what's the negative point of exFAT in easy words?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You have two options:
1) Format external HD to NTFS and buy Paragon NTFS for your Mac
2) Format external HD to exFAT and use it with both Windows and Mac without any additional software

You will need to backup the data on the HD right now with either approach, once you've done that you can choose one of the two options above and move on..

You will need to be using a Mac which is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (the .8 matters), Lion or Mountain Lion for it to be able to talk to the exFAT formatted HD..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
would u explain to me what's the negative point of exFAT in easy words?
Sorry, no idea.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Follow the advice give by Moderator bobtomay. Why? Because exFat like Fat-32 and Fat in general is not a journaling file system. Which means that data loss and the recovery of lost data can be difficult. NTFS like HFS+ is a journaling file system that keeps track of data which is important for recovery. In other words, use NTFS rather that exFat.

Reaction score
THANKS Bobtomay!!

I was struggling, screaming, with new macpro and unable to copy huge DV files to an external hard drive. Your recommendation to get Paragon was THE miracle worker!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.