2011 MacBook Air not charging

Reaction score
Hey, I'm curious if any of you have any experience with a MacBook not charging. My wife has had her MacBook Air since late 2011 and it has up and stopped charging today. We noticed while we were playing Minecraft that the MagSafe power light was not on, and so she asked me to plug her power cord in, but it was already in the socket. So far I have tried plugging the power cord into every outlet in the house to no avail. I've also tried resetting the SMC, though that did not help either (or at least I don't think it did. I tried to do it as the MacBook had 2% battery left.. it doesn't have a bit of a charge now). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like either the MagSafe Adapter Charger is defective or the battery is. If you purchased Apple Care for it, take it on in and let Apple test it for you. If the machine is not still under warranty, you can ask Apple to test it anyway but you'll have to pay for any repairs or parts.

OP
P
Reaction score
Alright, so after taking it in, they found (as I assumed) that the MagSafe cord was bad. A quick switch and $65 later, everything is working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.