• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Adobe to only "rent" creative software

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I haven't fully read the article or how Adobe plans on implementing it, but if it's something structured in a way of a true "rent", that is, you start the subscription and get access to all the tools and use them for as long as you need them and if you think you won't be using it for a while, you suspend the subscription and the applications fail to work anymore and once you need them again you get the subscription..

If it's something like that, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would jump on that band wagon to be able to use a professional-grade suite of applications for little money on the a monthly basis for as long as they need it rather than spend the big money for the entire suite..

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
I haven't fully read the article or how Adobe plans on implementing it, but if it's something structured in a way of a true "rent", that is, you start the subscription and get access to all the tools and use them for as long as you need them and if you think you won't be using it for a while, you suspend the subscription and the applications fail to work anymore and once you need them again you get the subscription..

If it's something like that, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would jump on that band wagon to be able to use a professional-grade suite of applications for little money on the a monthly basis for as long as they need it rather than spend the big money for the entire suite..

That might play out ok for the casual user for sure. Not sure I like it as a professional who uses the stuff everyday. The problem I see is oyu never have any legacy software to use if you decide to stop paying. With a perpetual license your feature set is fixed, but the software continues to work ( and you are able to open the files you create) for as long as you have OS/hardware that still works with the software.

And it's expensive long term, double the cost after the first year for a Photoshop user for example.

I don't really like the subscription business model, even though we are forced to us it in many cases for other services.

This has many in the creative industry up in arms. Will be interesting to see how this plays out long term.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I imagine from a professional users perspective, where they will essentially use it constantly, the cost can be quite high and I imagine that Adobe is betting on that demographic to make a sustaining stream of revenue..

However, this also opens the door for other applications to step into the spotlight that Adobe has been hogging for a long time..

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
Yeah I imagine from a professional users perspective, where they will essentially use it constantly, the cost can be quite high and I imagine that Adobe is betting on that demographic to make a sustaining stream of revenue..

However, this also opens the door for other applications to step into the spotlight that Adobe has been hogging for a long time..

I would love to see a viable professional photography solution other than Photoshop. This just might be the door opener.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I would love to see a viable professional photography solution other than Photoshop. This just might be the door opener.

I hope so.

Renting is not for me. If I want something for more than occasional use I want to own it. And, honestly, my needs are still limited. Lightroom with PSE and a few plugins is more than I can get the best use out of at the moment.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The master collection will run you $2100 (source) so at $50/mo, it will take you 42 months to spend the same amount. As of CS5.5, Adobe moved to a yearly release cycle. Given that you get updated apps automatically (as far as I can tell), this actually sounds like a deal.

I think this Ars article sums it up nicely: "An individual license for Photoshop CS6 will run you $699 at full price, but a two-year subscription to the software at $20 a month will cost only $480. The Master Collection of the suite goes for $2599, but a two-year subscription would run you a comparatively meager $1200." And really, in the grand scheme of things, how will this make any difference in the day to day experiences with the software? You save money and still get to use the software without limitations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
So called renting may well be the way of the future. Adobe has introduced it and the new version of Office, Office 365, is a form of rent with an annual $99 charge. And the EULA agreement for Mountain lion advises the software is 'licensed' to us and not sold.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The master collection will run you $2100 (source) so at $50/mo, it will take you 42 months to spend the same amount. As of CS5.5, Adobe moved to a yearly release cycle. Given that you get updated apps automatically (as far as I can tell), this actually sounds like a deal.

I think this Ars article sums it up nicely: "An individual license for Photoshop CS6 will run you $699 at full price, but a two-year subscription to the software at $20 a month will cost only $480. The Master Collection of the suite goes for $2599, but a two-year subscription would run you a comparatively meager $1200." And really, in the grand scheme of things, how will this make any difference in the day to day experiences with the software? You save money and still get to use the software without limitations.
And, I wouldn't have as much trouble with the pricing except I (and most photographers) don't need the full suite (not even close). But, your choices are 1 App for $20 or the suite for $50 a month.
The problem is I need 2 APPs, Lightroom and Photoshop. For now you can buy Lightroom as a stand alone, but as we see, that can change.
Also, I don't know anyone who upgrades their major software packages yearly.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You left out the most important part of the article....

"If you don't qualify for upgrade or educational pricing (and thus pay full price for Adobe's applications), and if you plan to upgrade to each and every new version as it is released (assuming a new version comes out every two years or so, as has been the case for the last few major updates)"

I currently have 4 licenses for Photoshop and have been a license owner since v2 ( a way long time ago) . I pay a $200 upgrade fees for each license every 2 years or so.

Lets do the math. 2 year cost of upgrade license and retaining WORKING legacy software for 4 licenses...$800.

2 year CC "rent" of 4 Photoshop licenses with NO working software at the end of the term...$1920

So I pay over double and in the end I have nothing, if I decide to get off the treadmill, not even a way to open the files produced with the software if they are layered files (as mine usually are)

That's how it effects the day to day use of the software...there is no get out of Adobe jail card. You are stuck.

Long term this is a really crappy move by Adobe which will negatively effect small users, and I work for and with a LOT of them. An Ad Agency owner told me his software costs have just doubled and it will now cost him 50 bucks a month for each seat and he has 10 seats to license...500 bucks a month.

Long term I think this opens the doors to some competition. As it stands it sucks, bigtime.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So called renting may well be the way of the future. Adobe has introduced it and the new version of Office, Office 365, is a form of rent with an annual $99 charge. And the EULA agreement for Mountain lion advises the software is 'licensed' to us and not sold.

Won't be for me. I'll find other alternatives.

Surely you also understand the difference between a perpetual license to use and a time limited one....

Lets put it this way. Are you willing to pay whatever monthy fee for Mountain Lion and if you decide to stop paying, your computer no longer boots?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Being in the situation that Adobe is (with essential command of the professional graphic design/photographer market), you'd think that they would try a different approach. Continue the regular releases of their creative suites with the current pricing for the professionals and offer a subscription based service like what they are thinking for those not willing to fork over the big bucks without knowing if it'll work for them long term..

With enough use of the subscription based service, people who end up using it often/frequently enough might upgrade to the standalone at the higher one-time price and move on..

This seems like a great way to continue support for the numerous existing users and potentially add new users to the base...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I currently have 4 licenses for Photoshop and have been a license owner since v2 ( a way long time ago) . I pay a $200 upgrade fees for each license every 2 years or so.

Lets do the math. 2 year cost of upgrade license and retaining WORKING legacy software for 4 licenses...$800.

2 year CC "rent" of 4 Photoshop licenses with NO working software at the end of the term...$1920
Fair enough. You make a valid point - I don't use CS in any way (I couldn't care less about artistic creation) and I admit that I hadn't thought through the costs of multiple seats in an environment with upgrades.

That's how it effects the day to day use of the software...there is no get out of Adobe jail card.
Yes there is - stop using their products. I realize that this may be difficult but really, if the cost is that prohibitive, you'll either have to absorb it or explore alternatives. I don't know what those are however (again, don't use this type of software).

Being in the situation that Adobe is (with essential command of the professional graphic design/photographer market), you'd think that they would try a different approach.
As I see it, this is exactly why they aren't trying a different approach. They gain more control and, evidently, grow revenue streams. Sounds perfect for them.

So, I see that the only Adobe product I use (Flash Builder) is now part of the CC suite. However, they still sell perpetual licenses for it. Fantastic.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes there is - stop using their products. I realize that this may be difficult but really, if the cost is that prohibitive, you'll either have to absorb it or explore alternatives. I don't know what those are however (again, don't use this type of software).

Uh no, that's not a STOP if you ever buy into CC. You are left dead ended if you decide to get of the treadmill. Period.

Its only a stop if you CHOOSE to never get on the CC train in the first place.

Looking elsewhere is clearly an option that many have decided to explore. Hey its Adobes ball, and they can play it anyway they choose. Just as consumers can take their money and run. Personally I don't think that Adobes cares one whit. It's all about smoothing out cashflow in my opinion. Good for them.

If I find what I need in the next 18 months while I continue to work with my paid for
licenses (or longer if the hardware and OS will allow) I'll be done with them. I'm quite sure they won't miss me or even care.

"So, I see that the only Adobe product I use (Flash Builder) is now part of the CC suite. However, they still sell perpetual licenses for it. Fantastic.

Hold on to that thought....and be prepared for your ox to get gored...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.