Transferring data from HFS+ to Windows partitions

Reaction score
I am trying to re-dualboot my iMac. The problem lies in that I believe the cd drive is burning out so its having a hard time reading the OSX install cd to get the drivers for XP. I have a digital copy that I am going to put onto a USB drive and transfer over to Windows, mount and install the drivers that way. My problem is that the USB drive I have is FAT32 and I want to reformat it to HFS+ so I can transfer the OSX install to it. Will I be able to mount the OSX image from the USB drive even though it will be a read only file format? Or is there a different way that I can transfer a 8gb+ file between operating systems without using the cd drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you've made an image from your OSX install disc just restore that image back to the USB drive using disk utility. No need to format first. This way the usb will have the same multi-format layout the OSX DVD would have and will be mountable in Windows

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.