iMac audio port only works through right speaker

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forums :)

I've had this problem for a while now, where anything plugged into the 3.5mm audio jack of my 2011 27" iMac only plays out the right channel - and i have NO IDEA why, it has sat on my desk in a safe environment for its entire life... I thought i could live with it until i started to realise that a lot of music is written with panning and L+R channels in mind, and therefore sounds decidedly average and empty without the other channel working... Plus while delving into music production this is a serious issue

So, i take my iMac into the apple store, having purchased 2 extra years of applecare and thinking they'll solve my problem and everything will be dandy. Now, i dont want to get too sidetracked and ***** and moan about the service, but lets just say it was a severe disappointment on that front, especially being told i probably have to take it back later as they are too busy - after lugging the **** thing through the shopping mall (and yes, i had organised an appointment).

ANYWAY to get back on topic, they eventually took it, had it for about a week and said they had replaced the audio port and that didnt fix it so the only next possible solution was to replace the logic board. Imagine my surprise when i had thought purchasing applecare would save me from unwanted costs and issues with a machine that is used frequently, only to have some teenager casually inform me over the phone that this would cost roughly $1100 to fix.

I guess i should have read the applecare agreement. The fineprint does specify what is covered and the logic board is missing from the list. So, I've been taught a valuable lesson regarding applecare and warranties... But this doesnt fix my problem - i cannot possibly afford $1100 for such a minor (while incredibly annoying) issue...

What can i do? i think due to the audio port being replaced and the issue remaining, any sort of self fix is out of the question - i did try to use a USB to 3.5mm adaptor, but with the same results.. Does anyone know whether i can safely get this repaired elsewhere, and the rough costs associated? Or any other fixes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - very keen to get this whole issue behind me!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Something doesn't add up here. Yes, AppleCare covers the Logic Board - it's an extension of the original 1-year warranty and therefore covers any part of the machine from manufacturer's defects.

Sounds like you're being given the run-around. Time to call Apple directly and explain the problem and the local Apple Store's response.

OP
A
Reaction score
Something doesn't add up here. Yes, AppleCare covers the Logic Board - it's an extension of the original 1-year warranty and therefore covers any part of the machine from manufacturer's defects.

Sounds like you're being given the run-around. Time to call Apple directly and explain the problem and the local Apple Store's response.

huh that's interesting.. i thought when i read through the terms that it stated specifically which hardware components were covered, and couldnt find logic board... ill have to have another read through. hopefully that is the case! Maybe they thought it was through user fault?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
As the last post, logic board replacement is included within AppleCare. Another oddity relating to what they told you, the audio ports are part of the logic board, so they can't have replaced them. The last iMacs to use separate audio ports were the 20" and 24" iMacs. You've been spun a tale. Did they give you a written diagnosis/quotation as Apple Stores do in the UK? The only time Apple can refuse to replace the logic board under AppleCare is if you have damaged it, such as breaking off a 3.5mm jack in the audio socket. I'd phone Apple and raise this with them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.