External NTFS hard drive.

Reaction score
I have a My Book Essential NTFS external hard drive. My system is OS X version 10.8.2.

When I first installed the hard drive I couldn't even get it to connect, so I downloaded and updated Macfuse with Macfuse core 10.5-2.1.9 and everything ran fine, I could save any file to the hard drive. The power supply to it was cut and after that, although I can still access it and move files from it to my desktop, I can't save any files to it. I tried reinstalling Macfuse and rebooting but that didn't work. If I go to disk utilities it shows Macfuse and the hard drive but gives no details or options other than to unmount.

My questions are.

1, Why was it working before and is not working now?
2, How can I fix it so it's working again?

Sorry, I'm really not familiar with Mac, so any help would be appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If this external drive is being used only with your Mac (not using it directly connected to a Windows machine), format it to HFS+.

If you are also using it with a Windows machine, would suggest dumping MacFuse and spending the $20 to get Paragon's NTFS for Mac for a hassle free experience with NTFS formatted drives.

OP
S
Reaction score
If this external drive is being used only with your Mac (not using it directly connected to a Windows machine), format it to HFS+.

If you are also using it with a Windows machine, would suggest dumping MacFuse and spending the $20 to get Paragon's NTFS for Mac for a hassle free experience with NTFS formatted drives.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Yes, it is only being used for Mac. How would I go about formatting it?

And one more random question, if you or anyone else can help with this.

I've been having one issue with the Retina display. Every image shows with some kind of color tint, red/brown/blue/green, usually with to much contrast and no matter how I calibrate the display. I do some black and white photography so it's difficult to be able to edit. Is there any way to get a true black and white?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Best put your random question in a new thread with more detail on what you mean by "every" image.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.