Deleted system fonts...help!

Reaction score
I was moving my fonts around tonight (stupid me) and I accidentally deleted the system fonts, now when my system starts up but there is only the background screen saver and none of my icons. The computer is frozen. I can access the computer from my other system but I cant seem to copy the systems fonts across from my working system as via shared but not into the system font folder. Does anyone have any ideas? This system was updated with 0SX 10.8.3 from an APP download so I dont have any reinstall discs other that an older OSX 10.4. Is there anyway I can reboot in some sort of safe mode and move the fonts back into place? Any help would be appreciated as Im desperate to access my work again.
Thanks loads
Exposurenz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Put the effected system into target disk mode then you should see the whole hard drive rather than just a share point

How to Boot a Mac in Target Disk Mode

Or alternatively boot up from a Ubuntu live CD, you can access the hard drive and any USB drives that you want to copy the fonts onto

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks louishen
In this mode should I be able to drag the fonts back into the system files ? Do you think the computer will boot normally once this is completed ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THere may be some permissions issues, but give it a try

OP
E
Reaction score
MIssing system fonts

I accidentally moved all my font into one folder and its rendered my computer in usable. I have tried the above and moved fonts back into the system folder but it hasn't made any changes as far as the system operating. Any other suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any other suggestions?

Unless you have a backup, reinstall Mountain Lion 10.8.3 from the App store.

OP
E
Reaction score
When you cant access the App store on your computer how do you reinstall the OSX 10.8.3 ? Can you download it from another computer and save it to a USB or something and if you reinstall does it just reinstall the fonts or will it wipe the entire system?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.