Safari suddenly sloooooow....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
I don't know what has happened to Safari. I think around the latest update, 6.0.4. my safari browser is just soooo sloooow. I downloaded firefox, opera, chrome, they are all flying so the problem is definetely in safari and not in hardware or isp or other.

It almost seems like there is a pishing filter og something. The web adress will open but then safari spends like 2-3 seconds "considering" to open the page or not. If there is such a filter or similar, please help me turn it off!

Did anyone else get the same problems lately?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't use Safari unless I have to, (Chrome and Opera here) but it sounds like you have not cleared history or the cache lately. Open Safari from the main menu and go into preferences. Clear history and the cache. Restart Safari. See if that helps.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
I don't use Safari unless I have to, (Chrome and Opera here) but it sounds like you have not cleared history or the cache lately. Open Safari from the main menu and go into preferences. Clear history and the cache. Restart Safari. See if that helps.

Nope. I do that quite frequently actually...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a solution to my problem though, I could stop using Safari. The thing is I was using Chrome for years. But then suddenly Java didn't work on Google Chrome due to their inability to make a 64-bit browser. And I need Java several times a day in my web use. After using safari for a while I started to ignore the slower browser due to som nice futures such as the syncronation of my bookmarks on mac/ipad/iphone and that I can open any webpage open on my other device with the icloud function.

Questions:

- Can you in any other browser than Safari sync the bookmarks between MacBook/ipad/iphone?
- If no for the above, can you easily transfer the bookmarks from Safari to e.g. Opera?
- Can you use the icloud function (see open webpages on other devices) on any other browser than Safari?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
- Can you in any other browser than Safari sync the bookmarks between MacBook/ipad/iphone?
Use Chrome on all those platforms and use its syncing service.
- If no for the above, can you easily transfer the bookmarks from Safari to e.g. Opera?
Sure, just export them from Safari and import them into Opera (you may have to do some reorganizing however).
- Can you use the icloud function (see open webpages on other devices) on any other browser than Safari?
iCloud is very much an Apple only thing but Google's syncing capabilities let you see open tabs across browsers (see here).

If you depend on Java and iCloud, it might be better to solve your Safari problem. Do you have any custom DNS servers setup?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you vansmith.

I never thought of the idea of getting Chrome on my ipad or iPhone. Can't say why, but I guess it has something to do with the Java issue. But getting Chrome on all my devices and with the sync function you mention, that would be a proper replacement.

I just have to use a different browser for Java when Java is needed, and use Chrome for all other tasks. That will get me "up to speed" :p

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as we are discussing Java and Safari here, maybe someone could help me with my Java issues in Safari. After the latest update of Safari, 6.0.4, Java stopped working. The info online tells me that you now how to go to Preferences -> Security -> Manage Website Settings. In the following window you have the headline:

Allow websites to use the Java plug-in with the settings below.

The problem is that for me there is no webside to be seen in the box below. For some reason no website that loads Java is registered in this new Java function in Safari.

I tried uninstall Java, reinstall Java several times. I tried download Java from Apple website, from Oracle. No result. I cleaned all catche and pretty much done it all except reinstall my Mac. Nothing works! I found out that Java does not load correctly in Opera either. Chrome I can't test du to the 32/64 bit issue. But Firefox seems to be the only browser that can load Java, but only with some minor errors which you can work around though. I also tried to reinstall Safari in different ways. And I was sure I only had a problem with Safari until Opera also could not load Java.

I would love it if I could use Safari for Java and Chrome for other stuff, but now I can only use Java with Firefox.

Any suggestions?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's amazing that this problem suddenly solved "itself". The way I did it, I went to java.com and did that test to check if I have Java. When I did that, finally I got the checkbox to accept that Java runs. Now all my other Java sites is also functioning and they are appearing in that "Manage Website Settings" window. I have no idea why that haven't worked until now when going to other pages with Java.

Anyway, I'm happy Java finally is working in Safari again. Chrome is downloaded on all devices. Now I have to figure out the sync function :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.