MacBook Pro keeps freezing on me

gan

Reaction score
Earlier this week I had a problem opening Word, and all of my apps froze on me. None of them were responding, each had the little rainbow pinwheel spinning, I wasn't able to force quit any of them, so I had to shut down using the power button.

A few days later it started acting up again when I opened Photoshop, and I did a software update just before it started freezing up again. Starting up the laptop takes about 10 minutes, it doesn't make the chime sound, even then the rainbow pinwheel starts spinning for a bit before everything loads, and because it keeps freezing, I can't go into anything for long without it freezing again.

This started when I was using the wifi at my school, so I'm not sure if it has something to do with that. I switched from using Safari to Chrome a month ago but the problems started much later. Has anyone ever had a problem like this before or know how to fix it? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Helps greatly if you do supply model and operating system details. Sounds like either an overfull or failing hard drive. No antivirus and water spills? Post back with operating systems and will advise first aid steps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.