• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Recommend a used Intel Mac tower for me...

Reaction score
So, unfortunately I'm finally ready to move on from my trusty PPC G5 Quad. Mostly due to the lack of updates and software compatibility!

I'm on an extremely limited budget, but need the capability to run all current software including Avid Pro Tools 10.

I'm basically willing to look as far back as the first Intel machines that meet my needs. I'll get the nicest one I can afford obviously, but I'm talking <$500 used market.

Any do's and don't's as far as lemons, reliability, stability, up-to-date-ness?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm basically willing to look as far back as the first Intel machines that meet my needs. I'll get the nicest one I can afford obviously, but I'm talking <$500 used market.

The only "Mac Tower" Apple has sold since the G5's...is the Mac Pro. With a budget of $500 or less...the ONLY model that fits these parameters is a 2006 1st generation Mac Pro.

And to be honest (from what I've seen on e-Bay)...$500 isn't enough in most cases.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick suggests $500 will not buy much alas. If you have to lay out your hard earned, consider a desktop that will at least run the current operating nsystem, Mountain Lion. A 2007 iMac model A1224, known as the iMac 7.1 or a Mac Pro model A1186, known as the 3.1, are the earliest Macs to run Mountain Lion.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You could probably get a decent, used Core 2 Duo Mac Mini for that kind of money on eBay. Unless you really need the internal expansion capabilities, the Mac Mini should be more than capable of running Pro Tools and most other general purpose computing. Where it won't shine is in games, but then, you didn't mentioned that as a requirement.

OP
T
Reaction score
Found two different Woodcrest Xeon "quad" Mac Pros for around $300 on CL... Would one of these hold me over temporarily? I have a possible client who would basically be booking enough time monthly to cover my rent... So I must upgrade to suit his needs!

I'm thinking here to just have the capability to run my necessary software, and then later on when I have the funds purchase a newer, nicer Mac Pro.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found two different Woodcrest Xeon "quad" Mac Pros for around $300 on CL... Would one of these hold me over temporarily? I have a possible client who would basically be booking enough time monthly to cover my rent... So I must upgrade to suit his needs!

I'm thinking here to just have the capability to run my necessary software, and then later on when I have the funds purchase a newer, nicer Mac Pro.

If you found any (functional) Mac Pro for under $500, you should jump on it....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found two different Woodcrest Xeon "quad" Mac Pros for around $300 on CL...

Sometimes you can get some REALLY good deals on CL if you're lucky!

As cwa107 mentioned...if you can get ANY Mac Pro in working condition for under $500...SNAP IT UP (if they're not gone already)!!!:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Sometimes you can get some REALLY good deals on CL if you're lucky!

As cwa107 mentioned...if you can get ANY Mac Pro in working condition for under $500...SNAP IT UP (if they're not gone already)!!!:)

- Nick

Thanks Nick, I did just that.
Just to let everyone know, I snagged a Woodcrest dual (quad) for $325. I know it won't be my last computer, but at least I can run PT10 (Flash, Firefox, etc, etc) , and sell my PPC to mostly pay for it. I can plan to use it for editing when I have funds for a fancy new one.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick, I did just that.
Just to let everyone know, I snagged a Woodcrest dual (quad) for $325. I know it won't be my last computer, but at least I can run PT10 (Flash, Firefox, etc, etc) , and sell my PPC to mostly pay for it. I can plan to use it for editing when I have funds for a fancy new one.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

That's amazing. One heck of a deal!

I don't think you'll feel the need for a new machine for quite some time, and going from a PPC Mac to that will be like going from a Yugo to a Ferrari!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I snagged a Woodcrest dual (quad) for $325.

Heck of a deal. If someone was selling the same computer on CL in my area for the same price...I would snap it up!:)

Congrats,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.