Need Advice on Movie Download to Apple TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
My Apple TV is new and so far have only watched movies from Natflix with it. A couple of days ago I ordered a movie thru iTunes on my MBP and it downloaded to it. Since I have Home Sharing on it also showed up in my Movie icon on the Apple TV. I did not try to watch the movie that day tho. Last night I purchased another movie from iTunes but bought it from the Apple TV. It showed up on my Movie icon in Apple TV almost immediately ready to watch and I did. Had no problems at all throughout the movie.

But tonight I get ready to watch the movie I first purchased and downloaded on my MBP. When I hit play to watch, it tells me it will take 48 minutes to download. Did I do something wrong? I don't see why purchasing a movie within the Apple TV made the movie ready to play instantly and downloading one to my MBP first is causing such a delay. They are connected to the same network, have t he same Apple ID and Home Sharing is on. Both movies showed up in the movie icon on Apple TV, both looked ready to play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Are you try to watch it be streaming off the internet or via home sharing from the downloaded copy on your Mac?

OP
MacWannabeNTX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ordered it from the Apple TV and then when it showed up in the movie icon under purchased, I tried to open it. I mentioned Home sharing be I had it turned on. But I am a newbie at all of this so....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sorry I'm a bit confused.

Two movies, first purchased on and downloaded to your MBP, not watched. Second purchased on, streamed off the Internet and watched.

When you come to watch the first movie are you going to home sharing to watch it or are you going to movies to stream it off the Internet.

OP
MacWannabeNTX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I did get confused. 1st movie - I ordered it off my MBP and it downloaded to it but when I wanted to watch it, I did that via the ATV - so I guess I was streaming from the Internet? But since 2nd movie was order from the atv and played from the atv, isn't that Internet streaming? 2nd movie available to watch immediately, 1st not available for an hour. Maybe it would be less confusing for me if I call them by name. 1st movie was Days of Thunder and 2nd was Water for Elephants.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your playing content you've previously downloaded into your iTunes library you go into the home sharing menu. That then plays across your local network from the ile you already have downloaded.

If you go to the Movies icon on AppleTV rather than home sharing its coming straight form the Internet.

If you're getting delays coming from the Internet it's the speed of your Internet connection.

Were both films standard definition or high definition? HD films will make more demand on your Internet connection

OP
MacWannabeNTX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, that is good to know. I'll have to search out where to find the home sharing menu but I can do that. They were both HD movies. Unfortunately I have the highest Internet speed available from my ISP, 8mbps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.