Help with macbook issues

Reaction score
Hey everyone I own a MacBook aluminum from late 2008 with the 2 GHz processor, 4 GB of memory, 160GB hard drive and I'm running OS X 10.8.3. I've been having issues with my files not staying in order. I will arrange them by name then the next time I go in the folder they are all over the place. Is this normal? If not, do you know of a solution? Also, I've been noticing that every time I try to delete a file from my downloads folder or desktop I am asked to put my password in. I'm not sure what is going on. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OP
M
Reaction score
Can't answer the file re-ordering question, but if you are being asked to put your password every time you delete anything, that means that the Trashbin is not owned by you anymore..

Look at this article to learn how to fix it: Mac asking for password when moving files to Trash | Fix-KB

Thanks! I was able to fix the trash bin. Do you know what would have caused that? It just happened out of the blue. I just need to figure out the file dilemma now.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm not sure what would have caused the permission change unless you recently deleted something that required your password for system privileges and that changed the permissions by mistake..

I tend to only drag stuff I own in my home directory to the trash and all applications are uninstalled using AppCleaner and I have not had this particular problem..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.