Seagate GoFlex Home drive

Reaction score
I have a Macbook and a Macbook Air, both are on Mountain Lion. I have a Seagate GoFlex 2TB drive attached (ethernet) to my router.

Before I got my Macbook Air, I had an IBM Thinkpad. At that time both the IBM and the Macbook were backing up to the Network Drive. After switching to Mountain Lion and the MacBook Air, I decided to clean up the network drive ad I did not need the IBM applications etc, so I formatted the drive. This resulted in neither computer even 'seeing' the drive, it would not work anymore - it was not detected by MacOS and so by Time Machine.

After a lot of messing around (I used the Seagate utilities to wipe the drive, and also did a hard reset, I have now managed to get the drive working and it is backing up (Time Machine) the Macbook. However, the Macbook Air does not show the drive at all. I can sign onto the drive using IP address from either laptop, but MacBook Air Finder does not show it, so it does not show in Time Machine.

I am new to the Mac world and would appreciate any help in getting this sorted out.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Did you try opening your Time Machine Preferences on the MBA and choosing the backup drive again? Like when you first set it up. The MBA may be looking for the drive under a different name or whatever and it just needs you to point to the correct drive again.

OP
S
Reaction score
I did try opening TM preferences, no joy! The drive just does not show. I even tried to point TM to the IP address, but I get an error then.

My MBA is 4GB, 256GB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thread moved here. Has nothing to do with running Windows on your Mac. Please observe our forum descriptions and Sticky posts prior to posting. Thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
I am NOT running windows. I was referring to an earlier environment when I did have an IBM Thinkpad. I no longer have that.

It is a PURE Mac environment. One Mac sees the drive and I can use Time Machine to back up to it, the other Mac (MBA) does not see the drive at all - there are no shared drives showing up in Finder.

If this is the wrong forum, my apologies.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post has already been moved from the "Running Windows....." forum where you originally posted it to here which is the correct place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have (well technically had) a Seagate GoFlex and quite frankly they are junk. It'd work one day; fail to mount the next; fail surface scan tests on another; then pass them the next day. The drive is complete garbage. I've since taken the drive out of the case and popped in a WD drive, and that runs flawlessly, so the problems weren't in the docking hardware. It sounds to me like you may be having similar issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.