Apple Mail CANT send images to Windows users

Reaction score
Whenever I email a INLINE image to a Windows user they are unable to view it. Why? OutLook works like a charm so this must be a Mail issue. I am talking about PNG images that I copy and paste.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you say a Windows user is unable to view it, does the attachment appear to them? And have you tried to CC yourself to see if you can view it? If I remember correctly, the Windows picture and fax viewer can open and or view *.png files.

OP
E
Reaction score
When you say a Windows user is unable to view it, does the attachment appear to them? And have you tried to CC yourself to see if you can view it? If I remember correctly, the Windows picture and fax viewer can open and or view *.png files.

Not sure of the details but all I know is that Windows users have complained about getting a email with a white box and text only. I am able to view the inline images in Apple Mail and Outlook so this has to be a Mail issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What file types are you sending, and are they CMYK or RGB color space

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am constantly sending pics to my Windows friends and they are always seeing them. Not sure what is going on.

What email program are they using in Windows?

C

chas_m

This is a common myth. Of course Mail can send image attachments to Windows users. After years of dealing with this, I discovered the actual cause of the problem: uneducated Windows users.

You can help them by doing two things:
1. Make sure the "make Windows friendly" checkbox is ticked.
2. For multiple images, it's probably best to make a ZIP archive of them. This used to hang up AOL users badly.

Other than that, they have to learn how to use their own machine. You can't fix ignorance from your end.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Chas on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not sure of the details but all I know is that Windows users have complained about getting a email with a white box and text only. I am able to view the inline images in Apple Mail and Outlook so this has to be a Mail issue.

this tends to happen because they have the default protection settings switched on that don't display images unless you click the 'Display images' or 'Always display images from this sender'

It's all about the recipient knowing how to use their email client, not the way you're sending them.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This is a common myth. Of course Mail can send image attachments to Windows users. After years of dealing with this, I discovered the actual cause of the problem: uneducated Windows users.

You can help them by doing two things:
1. Make sure the "make Windows friendly" checkbox is ticked.
2. For multiple images, it's probably best to make a ZIP archive of them. This used to hang up AOL users badly.

Other than that, they have to learn how to use their own machine. You can't fix ignorance from your end.
I'm not sure how your logic works here - it's Windows users fault, then there are steps that Mac users have to take to make sure it works and then it's their supposed ignorance again. I don't think it's fair to blame Windows users (and really, this would be an application based thing, not an OS level thing) for steps Mac users should take. ;)

evangelist6589, go to Edit > Attachments and make sure "Always Send Windows-Friendly Attachments" is checked.

OP
E
Reaction score
I'm not sure how your logic works here - it's Windows users fault, then there are steps that Mac users have to take to make sure it works and then it's their supposed ignorance again. I don't think it's fair to blame Windows users (and really, this would be an application based thing, not an OS level thing) for steps Mac users should take. ;)

evangelist6589, go to Edit > Attachments and make sure "Always Send Windows-Friendly Attachments" is checked.

That is checked… He is using Sea Monkey so perhaps that is the culprit.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, I have not even seen Sea Monkey in many years. Maybe that is the culprit!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.