Any help please. Minor spill but MacPro shut down right after

Reaction score
If any kind soul could lend some advice,

So this spill happened, a small one but in all the right places. This was not a cup or full glass, a few drops but the computer shut down right after. I left it off, it was never connected, and I flipped the the whole laptop over to drain. There wasn't much to drain, I wiped some exterior drops and a few, small drops drained out. I then opened the back plate, dried the small amounts out and Unplugged the battery, all within 30 minutes. The laptop remains off and flipped over, keyboard down over a towel, drying. Tonight it will be 24 hours since it was on and the spill happened. Prognosis anyone? I have tired to read other threads but i cant acess them. Any help is appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So this spill happened, a small one but in all the right places. This was not a cup or full glass, a few drops but the computer shut down right after. I left it off, it was never connected, and I flipped the the whole laptop over to drain. There wasn't much to drain, I wiped some exterior drops and a few, small drops drained out. I then opened the back plate, dried the small amounts out and Unplugged the battery, all within 30 minutes. The laptop remains off and flipped over, keyboard down over a towel, drying.

Firstly...as the title mentions..."Minor spill but MacPro shut down right after". Shutting down right after is not a good thing...and is exactly what would happen if the liquid came in contact with something sensitive (which could mean damage).

Secondly. There clearly was more than a "few drops" of liquid that was spilled on the computer. A few drops spilled on it...and then a few drops draining out when the computer was turned over...would mean 100% recovery/removal of the drops. This just doesn't happen...so more than a few drops were spilled.

At this point you just have to wait & see. Let everything dry completely (at least a few days)...you may even want to place the computer in front of a running fan to assist in drying/evaporation.

By the way...this is far from an uncommon occurrence...that's why we have this Sticky thread (please read):

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Threads merged - Please don't same question to multiple forums, that's called cross-posting. We will move thread as needed..

OP
C
Reaction score
I appreciate both of the responses I received here, thank you for being prompt.

In regards to what Nick mentioned, and I now have been able to access and read the official thread, drops are the proper amount to measure what happened. If any one Is still reading this, the hit was mostly to the screen, down the screen there was trickle and a small amount of liquid collected on the MacPro black border, and yes, a few drops went further than the border. I dried the wet areas inside and out and I am almost certain, things have dried. But I am not in the position to refuse good advice, i am not turning the laptop on. The biggest drying portion was actually on the back plate, where there was some moisture. I must mention the drain amount was nominal. This is not a case where a stream of liquid went into the laptop, there were only some drops reflected off the screen/

The continued support of this forum is much appreciated

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, i am not used to the phone keyboard and I tried to delete my other post, but couldn't. No harm intended

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Keep us posted on what happens.

I had to move with friends and was on a crowded coffee table working with my Macbook and someone had put a 1/2 cup of water there and bumped it. it went right over and most of it spilled on my Macbooks keyboard and into the unit. Since it's an older Macbook I yanked the power and battery right away. Turned it over and let it drain then removed the keyboard and dried out the water from the Mainboard. Left it a few hours and tried it. Would not work, Left it overnight and by morning it came on and has been working perfectly for the last 5 months. I was lucky and no one will ever put cups of water anywhere near my computer again!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.