ALT-tab/spaces/mission control switching massive frustation

Reaction score
My question is with command-tab

Turning the "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application” toggle on and of any number of times changes between two undesirable behaviors.

On it works like you would expect. Off it still switching to a different space with that program open. Then when done again instead of switching back to the original space. space it switches to the alternate program in the same space (this is still not the space I started in however). A third time switches me back to the original space and original program so I am back where I started. A fourth switching me back to the alternate program in the original space that I was trying to get to in the first place.

So 4 command-tabs to do what one should do. More if more iterations of the program are open.

I basically want no space switching EVER save that I do it manually.

Is there no one else having this problem or trying to use command-tab in what seems to me to be the most useful, intuitive way to use it? Is this annoyingness some how a "feature"?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I couldn't quite comprehend your original post, but command+tab works on my Mac just like alt+tab works on my work computer running Windows7. It switches between open apps/programs. Once within that open app, if you have multiple windows open (say several safari windows) you can toggle between those by using command+~.
I use command+tab almost daily at home on my iMac and MBP and it has always worked the way it should.

Glad you found a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
All of those command lines are totally unnecessary, if I'm understanding what you want correctly. All you have to do is assign the app you want to a specific space and that is done very simply by first creating a new space, opening said app in the space and then go to the dock and right click on the app icon and choose: Options>assign to>This desktop.

Done and done. Now when you cmd+tab to any app which has been set this way, it will automatically shift to that space. That is, unless the app is minimized. For some reason, it will not maximize a minimized app when switching to its space. That annoys the *#($! out of me.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.