Old keyboard with new iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Close to pulling the trigger on new iMac, but...

I HATE the new keyboards. I am a fast typist...really rip on the keyboard typing pretty much as fast as I think or talk....at least on the IBM-like white bluetooth Apple extended board that I now have. And I do lots of it. The new keyboards that come with the new iMacs are terrible for this. Would like to retain present keyboard....or purchase another like it....which I can't seem to find anywhere.

Will my older Apple bluetooth keyboard work with the new iMac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It should, but like anything else you'll just have to try it out first. If for some reason it doesn't work right you might take a look at Matias keyboards which are top of the line and have a very similar feel to the old IBM models. (A bit pricey though.)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Thanks for responding. I will explore. Not particularly price-sensitive....just want what I want...so likely not a barrier.

However, isn't Matias keyboard hard-wired?

From what I'm seeing (or, rather, not seeing) it appears to me that serious typists have faded from the dominant demographic....if we were ever in it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The full-size Matias keyboard is wired, but the Matias Laptop version is Bluetooth connected. But you have to forgo the keypad from here..

I had the old IBM clickety-clack keyboards for the longest time and switched over to the iMac bluetooth keyboard when I got my iMac, but I've had enough of it and will probably go with the full-size keyboard since I also type a lot, at work and at home..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
However, isn't Matias keyboard hard-wired?

They make both full sized models. I personally prefer the wired model since it also includes a very handy USB hub which can be used for simple devices like a mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I have the hardwired Matias and it works fine. Lots of key travel and clicks, which I need for speed. It doesn't have the thousand year lifetime of my old IBM flyplate battleship, but no other keyboard does, did or ever will. But, it has the proper Mac keys that the IBM doesn't, so it is somewhat easier to navigate with.

You will probably like the Matias if you are a typist that needs tactile feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini: 500GB-8GH : iPad 2 64GB
Will my older Apple bluetooth keyboard work with the new iMac?

Definitely! My parents bought an Imac in '04 (old keyboard) and just bought a new iMac, they gave me their new keyboard, since hey hated it, and use the old one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
I'm using an A1048 wired, White Apple keyboard with my new Mini. I'm looking for an A1016 (Bluetooth version) for it. There are a bunch on ebay right now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
It should work with it. Anything Bluetooth should work with the iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.