Just ordered an iMac MA710LL question!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
I don't think that it is going to come with a power cable. So I wanted to know, is it just a generic 3 pin power cable that computers have used forever? Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Not all of us are familiar with iMac serial numbers, please tell us what year/model this is. Is this a new iMac or an older one? Where did you order it from? If from Apple, either new or refurbed will come with everything you need..

If someplace else, since the iMac only needs a power cable to get going, why would you not get that? My iMac has a custom connector, so it's not a generic power cable..

Update: Looked up the model, it's a 2006 iMac I see. If you DO have to get a power cable because you didn't get one, look at this: http://www.mini-laptop-accessories.com/new-us-power-cord-cable-imac-intel-ma710ll-a1195-p-14509.html

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It comes with keyboard, mouse, and power cable assuming that it's brand new.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not all of us are familiar with iMac serial numbers, please tell us what year/model this is. Is this a new iMac or an older one? Where did you order it from? If from Apple, either new or refurbed will come with everything you need..

If someplace else, since the iMac only needs a power cable to get going, why would you not get that? My iMac has a custom connector, so it's not a generic power cable..

Update: Looked up the model, it's a 2006 iMac I see. If you DO have to get a power cable because you didn't get one, look at this: New US Power cord cable iMac intel MA710LL, A1195

Yeah that's it. Just not sure. I got it really cheap off eBay as is.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Then you for sure need that Power Cable that RazOrEdge showed you. No off the shelf cable will plug in there. Special shaped plug .

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah that's it. Just not sure. I got it really cheap off eBay as is.

In the thread title...you mentioned that you "ordered an iMac". In a followup post...you mentioned that this iMac was purchased via e-Bay.

I think a bit of confusion was generated by using the term "ordered"...since "ordering" something generally means the item is new. And as has been mentioned...all new iMac's come with a power cord. Since this is a "used" computer...no rules necessarily apply.

I will add...that a "regular" 3-prong computer power cord (pictured below) will work (it just won't look as pretty as the original cord):

belkin-molded-computer-ac-power-cable-12-ft-4-m-3-1.jpg

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks man. Wanted to be sure it wasn't different like my powermac g5 was.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok thanks man. Wanted to be sure it wasn't different like my powermac g5 was.

A "regular" powercord (like pictured above) will also work just fine on a Powermac G5. And as I mentioned with above an iMac...it just doesn't look as "pretty".

How do I know...I just tried a "regular" power cord on my Powermac G5...and it worked just fine.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not all PC power cords have the pins like that though. Some PC Notebooks I own do but not my towers. The one in the pic would work but sure look bad on an iMac! :D Reverse that. The Notebook cords I have use 3 round holes where the towers use the flat blade pins and holes. The Notebook cords I have will not work on the Mac.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My power Mac g5 is a late 05 with the 2.5ghz quad processors. With the liquid cooling. It has three prongs but they are horizontal rather than vertical. Look up powermac g5 power cable on google. I think it's becuase mine is the 2.5 quad. At least that's what it seems like after browsing the web. That's why I asked about the iMac. I actually have a thread on here I started if you look at my statistics about it when I first got it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.