Mac Pro Duel Monitors lost their resolution settings and can't reset

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Mac Pro OS X 10.8.2 with an ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB card. I have two 27" Viewsonic LCD monitors arranged side by side.

The left monitor has always been the primary monitor and both monitors have always worked fine. They are each set to 1920x1080 at 60 hertz. Yesterday, I put the computer to sleep manually then woke it back up after a few minutes. The monitors seemed to struggle to turn back on and when they did, the left display resolution was set to 800x600 at 60hertz and the right monitor (still scaled properly) was the primary monitor. After reseting the left display back to 1920x1080, the display is still squished. I have about an inch of black space on either side of the left monitor that I can't seem to get rid of despite using the monitor's manual rescaling features or trying any other display settings. I managed to get the primary monitor back to the left, but only by manually switching the DVI cables in the rear of the machine.
It's also worth mentioning that the display options on the right monitor appear different than on the left (I have included a screen cap to show that the hertz settings appear different between the two of them). After creating that screen cap, I also noticed that the two monitors capture at the exact same size which is not how they appear in reality.

Any thoughts?

View attachment display error image.pdf

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try just booting into Safe mode - let it come all the way up - it will take a little while - then reboot normally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.