Replacing hard drive

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
BTW what I meant by the 5-10 was Size 5-10 as I work on so many Macs.

OP
P
Reaction score
I have fitted what I described as he lugs on to the new hard drive, and replaced the tray. Everything went back to together as I expected, but Disk Utility still cannot find the hard disc. I am beginning to wonder whether those are not lugs, and that I was wrong to lever the tray off the old drive with my finger-nails. If they are in reality simply screws holding the drive in position in the tray, I may however imperceptibly to the eye have distorted the tray, and that may be affecting the result.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you push it in, do you feel it engage in the SATA port in back? Like it's plugging into something?

If the tray is distorted, it might be off enough to keep the pins from going into the holes in the SATA plug.

OP
P
Reaction score
Whichever drive I push in, there is no particular or definite feeling that the drive is engaging with the sockets. What seems so strange is that Disk Utilitiy recognises the old drive, but not the new one.

However much I resent it, I am afraid that the time has come when I need a technician.

Thank you all for your prompt help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Let us know how you get on.

Just one last thing, sorry if it's stupid, but these things so often are the least obvious to try. It is going in up the right way? If you orient it correctly with the old drive the sata connectors and position should be identical.

and another, sorry, maybe dumb question but it is definitely a SATA drive?

OP
P
Reaction score
... It is going in up the right way? If you orient it correctly with the old drive the sata connectors and position should be identical.
All that I can say is that I think that I am doing that correctly

... and another, sorry, maybe dumb question but it is definitely a SATA drive?

Not a silly question at all, and Yes, it is a SATA drive

I am most impressed by the trouble that you and the others are taking to help me -- thank-you !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd like to try and help you get it sorted. I'm in the UK but not on the doorstep of London!

Any chance of taking a couple of pictures of the two drives and the Mac drivebay? Or have you already booked a technician?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.