When, within the next six months, is the best time to purchase a new iMac?

Reaction score
Good evening,

I'm a full-time Linux user; for the most part, I'm very happy. Linux has served me well in my everyday tasks. However, my current machine is five years old and dying fast. The Linux ecosystem does not yet include a stable and powerful video editing application, and since I'm in the market for a new machine anyway, I have settled on purchasing an iMac to cover my AVCHD-editing needs.

After much work and penny-saving, I believe I will be purchasing the iMac, my first Apple product, within the next six months or so. I'm looking for advice on what time exactly I should choose to make the leap. Are rumors swirling that Apple will be coming out with another completely paradigm-changing iMac anytime soon? Apple is so good at design and such that they do seem to automatically make any previous models of iProducts obsolete each time a new version comes out.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious. I'm sort of out of the Apple-loop, being iLess at the moment ;)

/sleek

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Yes...we don't have a crystal ball to predict when Apple will release a new iMac model.;) Apple typically does not announce anything ahead of time. One day everything is normal...and the next day new iMac's.

If you want the latest & greatest iMac...you just have to wait until new iMacs are actually released...then buy!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Seeing as how they were just recently refreshed, you might be waiting longer than six months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If the last update, mid 2011 to late 2012 is any gauge, at least another year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Buy one now if you need one. You'll probably be waiting quite a bit longer than 6 months if you want a newer version than what's out there right now.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The iMac buyers guide shows an verage of 280 days between iMac updates. The last iMac came out on Nov, 2012 and is currently 160 days into the cycle. So maybe in the next 100-120 days there might be another update, which might coincide with your purchase timeline..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.