lightning digital a/v adaptor and converting hdmi to composite rca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying the lightning digital a/v adaptor for my iphone so that I can display the video and audio on a tv. My question is, does anybody have a recommendation on something that can convert the hdmi output to a composite rca cable. The reason why I need this is because I plan on using this setup in my car for the kids in the back seat so they can stream netflix of something while we go on a long road trip. The problem is the built in entertainment system doesn't have an hdmi input. It has the old school red, white, and yellow composite rca jacks.

It seems that the only thing that Apple offers that allows the iphone 5 to output the a/v is the lightning digital a/v adaptor. I'm then thinking of buying an hdmi cable to plug into some kind of device that can convert the signal to composite rca. I'll then buy an rca composite cable to plug into the output end of this convertor device and then I'll plug the other end of the composite rca cable into the entertainment system in the car.

I found one from Etekcity. Has anybody tried this or heard of it and if so, can you provide some feedback on the product? Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have not used composite in 20 years - probably compare the reviews between the ViewHD and the EteKCity devices at Amazon. Both have over 100 reviews there. Looks like the Etek requires a USB to power it - couldn't tell about the ViewHD model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It seems that the only thing that Apple offers that allows the iphone 5 to output the a/v is the lightning digital a/v adaptor. .

This is because one of the things Apple ditched along with the 30pin connector was analog video out. You'll need a convertor, and anything out there will need to be powered (it'll need to power the processor that does the DAC). I imagine that shortly there will be such native adapters for the lightning connector, as there are many accessories that utilize the analog video (such as my cars head unit.. I love instant obsolescence).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.