Macbook Sleeping With Battery Installed

Reaction score
Pretty self explanatory. If I boot the macbook with a battery in get the startup sound then goes to sleep. Ive tried SMC etc but no change. Different batteries and chargers make no difference. Doesnt seem to be any cast iron solution on the interweb so last chance saloon of asking here for any ideas.
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What if you boot the computer from an OS install DVD rather than the internal HD?

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Optical drive is toast, waiting for one off eBay. One thing I can try is to re-install OS etc but only started happening after removing the keyboard.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Optical drive is toast, waiting for one off eBay. One thing I can try is to re-install OS etc but only started happening after removing the keyboard.

If the issues this computer is having is somehow related to OS issues or software that is installed on the internal HD...three things can be done:

- boot the computer from an OS install DVD
- boot the computer from an external HD with the proper OS version for the computer installed
- completely wipe & reinstall the OS on the internal HD (last resort)

If you can do any or all of these things...great. If not...then you need to get what you need in order to do them.

This is just one possible troubleshootoing step...and it may not lead to an answer. But it is easy to do...and if the computer had a working optical drive & you has an OS install DVD...then it would also cost nothing (cheap troubleshooting step).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.