Hard drive crashed!

Reaction score
Let me first begin by saying I made an amateur error and did not fully back up my 2011 iMac. That said, I'm pretty pissed that I was never contacted by Apple about the hard drive recall. As it turns out, the disk that failed was in fact one that was recalled. Isn't Apple under any obligation to contact consumers about a recall?

All that said, I was just told that my machine needs a level 2 or 3 recovery at a cost of between $1,000-$3,000. I live in Westchester County NY and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a reputable recovery/repair shop?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
All that said, I was just told that my machine needs a level 2 or 3 recovery at a cost of between $1,000-$3,000. I live in Westchester County NY and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a reputable recovery/repair shop?

Are you really willing to pay $1000-$3000 to have the files on your HD recovered?

Most folks in this situation...even though they have important files/applications on the HD (and didn't have a backup)...simply chalk this unfortunate situation up to experience...and make sure to have backups in the future.

FYI...hard drives can fail at ANY time! So although your iMac may have fallen into the model(s) that had the hard drive issues...and although you may not have not known about the hard drive replacement program...ANY hard drive (good or bad)...can fail at ANY time. So backups are ALWAYS an important part of personal computer ownership.:)

As far as recovery shops in Westchester County. I used to work in Tarrytown a number of years ago...so my knowledge of repairs shops would be outdated.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Let me first begin by saying I made an amateur error and did not fully back up my 2011 iMac. That said, I'm pretty pissed that I was never contacted by Apple about the hard drive recall. As it turns out, the disk that failed was in fact one that was recalled. Isn't Apple under any obligation to contact consumers about a recall?

Yes, they are - and from what I understand, quite a few members received correspondence from Apple in regard to this. Perhaps your address changed or the address they had on file didn't match with your own. Or maybe you didn't fill out the registration the first time you booted up the Mac. Not sure, but I would broach the topic with them.

That's a pretty conservative estimate from what I've seen. Are you looking to have it done locally? Most of these services will send you a mailer for the drive, and once they get it, will take it apart in their clean room and mount the platter(s) to their equipment and do the recovery, allowing you to retrieve the needed files online.

I've not been through this personally, but I've heard good things about DriveSavers:

Data Recovery by DriveSavers | All Drives, RAID, SSD & iPhones

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.