What is wrong with my iMac?

Reaction score
33vzyj6.png

I have MacOSx version 10.6.8.
Processor 2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 MHZ DDR SDRAM
Graphic: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT VRAM (Total): 128 MB

It starts with lines located randomly on screen, black, or like monitor cracked. Then it happens like on screenshot - sprites of minimized window. I googled for similar problems and solutions, but haven't found satisfactory answer. It already went on service, but when it returned it continued with this problem. Can i you suggest some solution with installation of some program or driver or...?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can i you suggest some solution with installation of some program or driver or...?

First thing I would suggest is booting from a Mac OS install DVD to see if the issues remain.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just based on your description, it sounds a lot like the GPU is overheating. This could be caused by dust build-up in the heatsink/ducts, or it could be a fan that is starting to fail. It could also be a breakdown in the thermal compound between the heatsink and GPU.

If you've already had it in for service and found their remedy to be ineffective, I think I'd be apt to haul it back in and tell them that it's not fixed.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'll try to translate answer my collegue got from service:

"GPU burns out after 3 years - you need to change whole graphic card, because cooler is not on VRAM chips so they burn out in time. Price should be around 200 euros"

Anyway, thank you for answers, hopefully it will help people with similar problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.