Trying to repair my MBP (early 2008)

Reaction score
A couple months back my early 2008 model MacBook Pro (A1260) died on me. I hit the power button, the fans flick on for one second and then turn off, the screen remains black, and all other internals seem to be off. The led on the front fades in and out, but othwise nothing appears to be working. I removed the hard drive and it is working fine.

How can I troubleshoot for my hardware issue? Should I buy and install a new logic board?

Thanks in advance for the help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can you tell us if anything happened to this computer before the problems:

- home electrical surges (thunderstorms)
- liquid spill on the computer
- computer was dropped or bumped hard against something
- etc.

* Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
The machine in question was my workhorse for almost 5 years and was powered on for most of its life.

I'm 99.9% sure there is no liquid damage. I primarily used this machine at home so the only time it has ever fallen has been from the couch to the carpet, like 2-3 feet at most. It may have been plugged straight in to the wall outlet when this problem occurred, but I'm not 100% sure.

When the problem initially occurred I was able to get the machine to boot after a few hours by just cycling it on and off, but after about a week it died and I haven't been able to revive it since.

I wish I had more info; hope this helps.

Thanks

Reaction score
A couple months back my early 2008 model MacBook Pro (A1260) died on me. I hit the power button, the fans flick on for one second and then turn off, the screen remains black, and all other internals seem to be off. The led on the front fades in and out, but othwise nothing appears to be working. I removed the hard drive and it is working fine.

How can I troubleshoot for my hardware issue? Should I buy and install a new logic board?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have this problem as well with my Old MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4,1 early 2008. It was working great. I shut it down. Took it to work and it wouldn't start. I Could never get it to start back up again.

Did you ever find an answer to this problem?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I had similar symptoms with my late 2007 MBP. It turned out to be the GPU which resides on the Logic Board. In my case, thankfully it failed just within the AppleCare warranty period so the repair was free.
Not up on current repair costs, but I would probably lean toward replacement with an Apple refurb as a better value. Refurbs from Apple are same as new quality and warranty.

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7 $1489

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.