iMacs and USB 3.0 CF reader

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.
I just got a "nGear 3.0" multi-format card reader (bought form NCIX store in Toronto). I plugged it in the back of my iMac and my iMac can't see this device. Odd. I know USB 3.0 devices should work with 2.0 input jacks. Allegedly. Being backward compatible. What gives? My iMac was bought in 2011. Not that old.

At least my 2012 HP Windows laptop has a 3.0 jack. Should spot it there.

Do I need to install a nGear device driver? As soon as i plugged it into my HP laptop it began installing a driver. Installed. Still not seeing this card reader. Odd.

Might just refund this reader. Since it's not being read by my HP w/ USB 3.0 jack, Apple MBP (2008?) or my 2011 iMac. Had to connect my DSLR directly to my iMac using the supplied (likely USB 2.0) cable...or are cables even rated? (as 2.0 or 3.0) Just thought I'd get an external reader so I wouldn't have to power up my DSLR. Or have need to have my computers connected to my DSLR.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not all USB 3.0 devices are backward compatible with USB 2.0. I had to return a USB 3.0 WD Passport hard drive to Best Buy because it would not work right with my 2011 iMac which only has USB 2.0. Most off the shelf USB 3.0 hard drives should work OK with the proper cable, and connected to USB 2.0, but not all will.

Unless a specific driver for the Mac was included with that USB 3.0 device, there probably is not one available.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.
chscag,

I didn't know that. I assumed all are backward compatible. No matter. it wasn't seen by my HP laptop which does have a 3.0 jack. i probably have a faulty unit. Will probably refund it. Stick with buying a brand name CF card reader like Lexar. That or just use the USB cable and connect my DLSR to my iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.