• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Please! Can anyone help Installing downloads

V

Val

I just purchase an iBook 12" and I'm have trouble installing downloaded programs such as yahoo msg or msn msg. When I double click on the file a program such as Quicken comes up and ask me to purchase this product. I deleted Quicken and now other programs come up like QuickTime with a msg saying it doesn't recognize the program I'm trying to install. Can anyone PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS? Val

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the extension of the file you are trying to open? If it's .sit you need to download and install the free Stuffit Expander. Once that is installed, you can open your .sit files. If the file extension is something else, let me know.

Here is the URL to download Stuffit Expander. It's a DMG image.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/182

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 - iPod Touch - iPod Video (30GB) - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen - Airport Extreme&Express
If you want a good msn program try amsn. That seems to do the trick if you want webcam. Or go to windows website they do a mac version but it isnt as good - just thought ide let you know

OP
T

topshot

For instant messaging, Adium is a good one to try. You can have multiple accounts signed in . As for the files, I agree with travis.

OP
V

Val

dtravis7 said:
What is the extension of the file you are trying to open? If it's .sit you need to download and install the free Stuffit Expander. Once that is installed, you can open your .sit files. If the file extension is something else, let me know.

Here is the URL to download Stuffit Expander. It's a DMG image.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/182
The yahoo msg is now a .bin file but at first it had a .dmg extension.
Val

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
so do you get that same error when clicking on the .bin file? If so, you need stuffit expander.

OP
V

Val

dtravis7 said:
so do you get that same error when clicking on the .bin file? If so, you need stuffit expander.

Yes I do get the same error. Quicktime message box pops up and says, it doesn't recognize the program.

OP
T

topshot

This is to do with companies that just haven't quite learnt how to develop in Xcode. They still use old packaging programs that were built for OS 9. Only way around it is to use stuffit or some other extraction program. Or better still, if they aren't packaging in proper DMG files leave them alone. They are probably crap conversions of OS 9 apps anyway. You'll see what I mean when you finally get it open.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.