External Hard Drive

Reaction score
I have a Mac book pro 10.7.5... I bought a Western Digital My Passport for Mac to put all my music on. I plugged it in an it worked great for the first day but then after that it kept not recognizing it an disconnecting its self / an disconnecting in middle of downloads. Now when i plug it in i dont even have a icon that comes up for My passport for mac.The light blinks an everything so i know it works. I plugged it in the another laptop (not a macbook) an it comes right up but i cant do anything with it clearly cause its not a mac. i just wanted to see if it worked. Any ideas what i can do to make my mac read my Western Digital. ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Is it getting enough power? does it have a USB cable with two connections in one end?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Are you "unmounting" the drives before you unplug them?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I agree with mrplow in that I have only once had this problem (not Western Digital, actually Seagate) which turned out to be a power issue. It appeared to function okay to start with and then intermittently failed to mount properly.
I presume you are connecting the EHD directly to your Mac and not through a hub? In my case, the Seagate did not have a double USB connection and Seagate refunded the cost. As your purchase is apparently recent, WD should do the same....

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.