Help Me Get Psyched For My New iMac!

B

BoingoBongo

Ok, so I ordered a new fully loaded Intel iMac that should be delivered on Thursday. Naturally, I'm very excited! I've been reading up on all kinds of iMac history and reviews and basically anything having to do with any iMac. The thing is, I've found discussion forums to be a pretty bad place to help me get excited. It seems like mostly negative things. I know we tend not to hear about all the machines that work wonderfully as often as we hear about the few that don't, but still, I want to be super-psyched-out when my iMac gets here.

So please, any type of hype is welcome (any iMac stories, pictures, musings, etc...)

Thanks!

(sorry if this isn't particularly a productive thread, but I'm just really really excited)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Congrats on your system :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SR MBP 2.4Ghz 2GB RAM running a 30" ADC
I have a Dual Core 2.0Ghz iMac and I love it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
BoingoBongo said:
Ok, so I ordered a new fully loaded Intel iMac that should be delivered on Thursday. Naturally, I'm very excited! I've been reading up on all kinds of iMac history and reviews and basically anything having to do with any iMac. The thing is, I've found discussion forums to be a pretty bad place to help me get excited. It seems like mostly negative things. I know we tend not to hear about all the machines that work wonderfully as often as we hear about the few that don't, but still, I want to be super-psyched-out when my iMac gets here.

So please, any type of hype is welcome (any iMac stories, pictures, musings, etc...)

Thanks!

(sorry if this isn't particularly a productive thread, but I'm just really really excited)

The negative reviews are mostly because we're all jealous that we don't have one :) :) :)

OP
B

BoingoBongo

That's what I'm hoping. At first I almost went with a G5, but decided to try and be on the cutting edge for once. It'll be exciting to see what updates and stuff they come out with.

I love hearing positive things about the new iMacs! The last one I used was one of the iMac DVs about 4 or 5 years ago (and I really liked that one).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
BoingoBongo said:
That's what I'm hoping. At first I almost went with a G5, but decided to try and be on the cutting edge for once. It'll be exciting to see what updates and stuff they come out with.

I love hearing positive things about the new iMacs! The last one I used was one of the iMac DVs about 4 or 5 years ago (and I really liked that one).

I'm sure you're going to love it! I am planning on getting a fully loaded iMac 20" later this year as well (my Cube and Gateway laptop need some upgrades first tho!). The floor models I played with at the local Apple Store were incredibly quick.

OP
B

BoingoBongo

Well, it ended up getting delivered today (one day early)! I can't believe there can be a computer this beautiful and amazing.

5c30d314.jpg

It doesn't even feel like I'm looking at a screen, it feels like I'm looking out some awesome window. It's so fluid and snappy and easy. I would write more, but quite honestly, I'm speechless.

OP
T

tilly

wow, now i really cant wait to get one, thats the same one as im gonna get!!!!

OP
B

BoingoBongo

It's absolutely amazing. The pictures don't do it any kind of justice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Can you give me some insight to why you purchased the intel iMac instead of the iMac G5, other than being on the cutting edge? Was price a factor for you?

OP
B

BoingoBongo

Greenredfield said:
Can you give me some insight to why you purchased the intel iMac instead of the iMac G5, other than being on the cutting edge? Was price a factor for you?

It was a hard decision, actually. The G5 machines are tried and true, and that really made me feel comfortable. I'm usually not concerned with being on the cutting edge of things. A good computer is a good computer no matter what. I just decided that if I was going to spend that kind of money ($2,300 after tax w/ AppleCare), I didn't want to buy something that was outdated before I even opened the box, you know?

I was a little worried about the lack of universal programs out now. I use a lot grahpic design and editing programs. I just figured I don't mind waiting a little while, and by the time I saved up more money for the programs, many of the universal versions will probably be available.

Price wasn't really a factor because the two were priced equally (although I know the 20" G5 came down $200 yesterday). Some of the upgrades for the G5 were actually more expensive, so if anything, the Core Duo seemed like a better value. I had to save for a long time to afford this, and I wanted to get something great, and I really think that I did.

491d1e13.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
BoingoBongo said:
It was a hard decision, actually. The G5 machines are tried and true, and that really made me feel comfortable. I'm usually not concerned with being on the cutting edge of things. A good computer is a good computer no matter what. I just decided that if I was going to spend that kind of money ($2,300 after tax w/ AppleCare), I didn't want to buy something that was outdated before I even opened the box, you know?

I was a little worried about the lack of universal programs out now. I use a lot grahpic design and editing programs. I just figured I don't mind waiting a little while, and by the time I saved up more money for the programs, many of the universal versions will probably be available.

Price wasn't really a factor because the two were priced equally (although I know the 20" G5 came down $200 yesterday). Some of the upgrades for the G5 were actually more expensive, so if anything, the Core Duo seemed like a better value. I had to save for a long time to afford this, and I wanted to get something great, and I really think that I did.

491d1e13.jpg

Yup, we're all jealous :) Congrats on your new Mac! My Cube is getting a ram upgrade this week, so I'll just have to console myself with that for now ;)

OP
B

BoingoBongo

Although I've never owned one, I've always thought the cubes were really cool!

Reaction score
**** it bongo you are doing my credit card no favors! I'm going to the applestore now...

OP
B

BoingoBongo

Hehe, sorry.

It's not 100% perfect though. Today I noticed a DEAD PIXEL!! No!!!!

d297bd2c.jpg

It's right near the center of the top third of the screen. It's really only slightly annoying, but I'm kind of upset because I spent so much money that I think this should be 100% perfect. I love it so much, that this really tears me up! I'm not sure what to do about it. :(

Reaction score
Beutiful iMac. I just picked up a 17" iMac Duo a few weeks ago (Regretting that I didnt get the 20'') . I actually picked up a the iMac for me and a iBook for my Fiancee. When she powered on the iBook she noticed right away that there was a dead pixel right in the freakin middle of the screen. We took it back and they said Almost every screen on a computer/laptop has a dead pixel on it and is that people just do not notice it. I smell BS!

Anyways, we told him we are going to return it and upgrade to the Macbook Pro. Then they went on about they will have to charge us the restocking fee. Now im TICKED! Even though there was a dead pixel in the middle that was totally noticable, they said for my Fiancee to either Live with it or return it with a restocking fee. Went on and on how I think it was BS that he would have to charge me the fee.

These guys were about to make $4000.00 from me,and they were so rude to us. I finally just asked for his name and told him I wanted him to be there for when i come back with the iMac Duo, iBook and 30GIG iPod Video to return because I rather spend my money else where. He then looked at my reciept and figured out I wasnt BS'ing on how much i Spent, so he finally decided not to charge me the restocking me and we ordered the Macbook Pro!

Sorry for the long read, just to let you know what I had to go through about a Dead Pixel.

OP
T

tilly

ye they will say anything to make more money. if you have a dead pixel send it back if your not happy with it. the onyl reason they will try and get out of it is because they will lose money

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
BoingoBongo said:
Hehe, sorry.

It's not 100% perfect though. Today I noticed a DEAD PIXEL!! No!!!!

d297bd2c.jpg

It's right near the center of the top third of the screen. It's really only slightly annoying, but I'm kind of upset because I spent so much money that I think this should be 100% perfect. I love it so much, that this really tears me up! I'm not sure what to do about it. :(

Try this:

http://wiki.ehow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor

I actually fixed a dead pixel on a Viewsonic LCD by cleaning it, and wondered how that was possible (but I was thrilled it resolved it). The above seems to substantiate the fact that it can work, and it's easy enough to try.

Mark

Reaction score
I hate dead pixels. Even if there's just one it drives me nuts. What have you decided to do about it? I'm of the belief that if you pay the amount of money that you do, whatever you bought should be faultless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
cjay said:
I hate dead pixels. Even if there's just one it drives me nuts. What have you decided to do about it? I'm of the belief that if you pay the amount of money that you do, whatever you bought should be faultless.

Definitely, this is my belief which I why I was a little annoyed when I bought an LG Flatron LCD Monitor that had a dead pixel, I called up the place I bought it from and simply got "I’m sorry sir, but one dead pixel is not cause enough to return your item as it is classed as ok with 1-5(or something) dead pixels".

I was very annoyed by this, I mean you pay almost £200 for a monitor and you want it to be perfect do you not?!

Ah well, there's my rant lol. Now though I have gotten used to it and hardly notice it that much any more.

Regards,

Chris,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.