Cursed cursor

Reaction score
OS X 10.6.8 - my cursor died a couple of months ago, so the shop put a new keyboard cover / cursor bar on; has worked; this last week or two, however, when I'm scrolling the cursor around the screen, it will -- quite on its own accord -- begin creating shaded drag-boxes; other times, when it is over a word or phrase, it will come away with a transparent blue (as in highlighted) word or couple of words; a third issue is that there are times when I'm two-fingers-on-the-tracking-pad making my way back to the top of a page, and the page will just take off on its own all the way to the top. The only way I've found to interrupt any of these issues is to ESC / Click Cursor; that seems to "clear the cursor's mind" for it to get back to doing what it's supposed to do.

So....any idea(s) about what's going on here? Solution(s)?

Many thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you by chance using a notebook with a trackpad and the Magic Trackpad at the same time. I got similar behavior until I shut off the built in traackpad.It will come back easily enough if the Magic Trackpad is not present.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Don't know what a "magic trackpad" is; looking in "Help" is unhelpful. Any further direction? Many thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What kind of Mac do you have? What is a "cursor bar"? All the things you are talking about seem to indicate that the OS X is getting some erroneous clicks/taps to make it behave the way it's behaving or intermittent connection, i.e., when you start two-finger scrolling it gets that you are starting to scroll but then when you stop it doesn't get that or gets told to scroll faster and does so until you click which does go through and stops everything..

OP
A
Reaction score
MacBook; first round with the Intel chip, as I understand; "cursor bar" is the only thing I knew to call the space-bar-looking-thing below the trackpad.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OK gotcha. That's your button press for the trackpad. Any chance you've gotten some liquid spilled on this thing? My guess is a intermittent connection with the work that was done recently. Perhaps they can take a look at the connections and reseat them?

OP
A
Reaction score
No liquids around here. Suspect it's time to take it back to the "expert$$" and see if they can make it right. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.