Mail and Gmail

Reaction score
(1) I use Gmail in my iPad. I do not use Mail. However, (2) whatever mail I get in Gmail, shows up as a duplicate in Mail (or maybe, it's the other way round in actual fact). On the other hand (3) if I delete any mail in Mail, it gets deleted in Gmail.

My questions are:

1. Can I stop this?
2. If I cannot, does it mean that I am loading up the memory of the iPad?
3. If the mail first originates in Mail and then appears in Gmail, if I were to emove or block Mail, would it block my mail?

Thanks very much.

Emile

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Switch to the free IMAP protocol offered by GMail. Instructions for doing so are on the GMail home page in the upper corner. Click on the gear.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your answer. I went into Settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP>Status. There it shows IMAP enabled. So, I assume it's waht you suggested I do, except it has been like that. Any ideas where that leaves me, please? (by the way: is that a picture of of a B-24 on your site. It's too small for me to see it clearly)

Thanks again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just re-read your original post, and I also see that you're already using IMAP. That's the way IMAP is supposed to work when you use multiple devices to access mail. If you don't want that to happen, you'll have to switch back to using PoP mail instead. IMAP is actually better but some folks don't like the way it handles mail when you have more than one device. I used it for awhile but prefer PoP even though I have mail on my iMac and iPad.

(The aircraft is a Douglas B-26D Invader.)

C

chas_m

I think what's going on is that he has his GMail account enabled in Mail AS WELL AS he's checking GMail using another app or a web browser.

If that's the case, the solution is to disable the Gmail account in the Mail app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.