Help - Mac Pro Start up issues

Reaction score
Recently my Macbook Pros (OS X 10.6.80) sound stopped working and the sound icon disappeared from the top bar. When I press the volume buttons on the keyboard an icon showing a speaker crossed out shows up and there is not output devices show in system preferences.

So I read about restarting the computer and holding (alt, cmd, r, p) on start up and this seemed to fix the problem. Then when I was using safari the computer crashed and I had to restart this way again.

When it loaded again it went to a faded blue version of my home screen with no icons so I used a combination of safe boot (shift when starting up) and (alt, cmd, r, p) to get it to work and this also seemed to work for a while.

Now if I don't use safe boot when turning on the computer it goes to a faded blue screen and wont load at all. But when its running the sound icon is still gone and sound doesn't work and the (alt, cmd, r, p) method no longer works. Videos, gifs and flash runs strangely now and can crash my computer as well.

I would really appreciate someones help if they have any idea of what's going on and how to fix it!!

Thanks a lot!

Simon

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do you still have the Snow Leopard (10.6) disc? If so, can you boot from it, loaded Disk Utility and run a repair on your HD to see what it finds..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You do need that disk to boot from and run Repair Disk. Sounds like your hard drive may be shot. Are you using a Windows keyboard with Alt? On a Mac keyboard it is Command, Option P and R keys all at the same time after the chime and keep held down until after the third chime.

OP
T
Reaction score
No I'm just using the macbook keyboard and I've tried that with no luck! I'll have have a dig around to find the cd, also I don't know if this helps but I've created another account and logged in and it has the same problems as well, Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A lot of times one of the troubleshooting methods is to create a new account to see if there is something in your regular account that has been corrupted, so it's good that you tried that and found the issues to persist. That means that whatever is ailing your machine is more intrinsic than just a configuration file or something..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep this document for future reference: Startup key combinations for Intel-based Macs

Hold down C while booting the system with the disk inserted and it will start up. Once it loads, go to Utilities->Disk Utility and run a repair to see what it finds..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad that sorted it out for ya..

OP
T
Reaction score
oh no the problem is back!! it worked once but then after turning the computer on and off its back to where i started

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sure sounds like a failing hard drive. What did Repair Disk have to say after you ran that last time? Remember you have to boot from the disc to run this as Ashwin described.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also in addition to what Harry asked, what did Disk Utility say about the SMART status of your HD? While it is possible for a hard drive to fail before the SMART status might indicate, however if the SMART status indicates failure, then it's imminent..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thing you might want to do is to run the repair a couple of times in a row, it should find no new errors the second time around and then start up normally. Let it run for a little bit and then shut it down. Go back into the disk and have it check again to see if any new errors showed up.

If errors start showing up constantly after each use, then I second Harry's suggestion that the drive might be beginning to go..

How old is this MBP?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.