Word Opening Dozens of Docs at Once

Reaction score
When I opened Word (Office 2008) on my macbook pro this morning, suddenly dozens of documents began to open rapidly in succession. The documents continued to open in rapid succession--I don't when or if it would have stopped. I used "force quit" to stop it. I tried shutting down a couple of times but that didn't change anything. This happened whether I clicked on Word icon, or actually tried to open an existing document. Can anybody help?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Were the documents that were opening up ones you had previously opened yourself? I've found that Word and Preview tend to re-open all documents that were previously opened when you quit the application. You have to ensure to close out each document before quitting the application..

Sometimes when I'm reading through documents I tend to open up a bunch of them and just hit CMD+q to quit and then I'll open an image or another PDF and boom, every single PDF from my previous session is loaded as well..

If there is a quicker way to quit Preview/Word and have it close out all of the opened windows/documents, I'm all ears..short of doing it manually..:)

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Raz0rEdge. I pretty much close any documents I'm working on before shutting down or moving on to something else. When I hit Word this morning, it pretty much started opening nearly every document I had seen or touched within the past few weeks. Well, that's as much as I could tell in the two dozen or so documents I would let open before force quitting.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi Joebud. I went ahead and moved your thread from our off-topic forum (Schweb's Lounge) to 'OS X - Apps and Games', since it's specific to an OS X app. In the future, please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've found that Word and Preview tend to re-open all documents that were previously opened when you quit the application.
You must have set that (or I somehow unknowingly disabled this) - I've never seen that in my life with the Mac version of Office. In fact, I'm pretty sure I would have taken a hammer to Office by now if it did that. ;)

If you hold down shift when you open Word, does this happen? Sure sounds like restore is working its magic here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If there is a quicker way to quit Preview/Word and have it close out all of the opened windows/documents, I'm all ears..short of doing it manually
I saw another topic on this the other day, but can't remember where. The solution, in Preview anyway, was to go into Preview's Preferences, where there was an option to stop this happening. Something about opening previous windows or suchlike.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.