Need help with bootcamp: Multiple things

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '06 Macbook, 4gb RAM, OS X 10.8.3 Hacked onto, running smooth as any mac !
Hello,

I am trying to install windows 7 on my 2006 macbook (has DVD drive) WITHOUT a windows 7 disc... I have a windows 7 bootable usb, however, but since my macbook has a dvd drive, I don't have the option to install from a usb with bootcamp. Is there a way to boot from the USB after partitioning the drive VIA bootcamp ? It asks to insert a disc, but I simply do not have one.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How did you make the Windows 7 USB bootable? Did you get it in a form that you could've burned to a DVD instead? If your system doesn't support booting/installing from USB, then you're pretty limited in options..

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How did you make the Windows 7 USB bootable? Did you get it in a form that you could've burned to a DVD instead? If your system doesn't support booting/installing from USB, then you're pretty limited in options..

I made it bootable on a windows machine using a program called "Wintobootic" that works just fine for installing on windows machines, and I downloaded it from microsoft... my dvd burner recently gave out, so the only option was to make a USB. I've read that mac users that don't have optical drives have the option to use a USB ? How would I do that, even though I have a computer that has a built-in optical drive? I absolutely NEED windows on my macbook for school ! Please help me ):

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I made it bootable on a windows machine using a program called "Wintobootic" that works just fine for installing on windows machines, and I downloaded it from microsoft... my dvd burner recently gave out, so the only option was to make a USB. I've read that mac users that don't have optical drives have the option to use a USB ? How would I do that, even though I have a computer that has a built-in optical drive? I absolutely NEED windows on my macbook for school ! Please help me ):

The EFI in Apple machines doesn't support booting off of flash drives in the same way as a typical Windows box. Your best bet would be to either purchase (or borrow) an external DVD drive, or install via virtualization (like VirtualBox, Parallels or VMWare).

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The EFI in Apple machines doesn't support booting off of flash drives in the same way as a typical Windows box. Your best bet would be to either purchase (or borrow) an external DVD drive, or install via virtualization (like VirtualBox, Parallels or VMWare).

That's what I figured... maybe one day Bill Gates will pass away and him and Jobs will agree to coexist... until then, I'M OUT TO FIND A DISC!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.