Blue vs. green messages...in Messages not iOS

Reaction score
I know what the difference is between green and blue messages in iOS Messages on my iPhone.

Today I was using Messages on my MBP and chatting with someone on their MBA via Google and Messages.

My messages have always been green but I must have clicked on something because the color went to blue for a short while.

There is a line before they went back to green:
Jabber IM with [email protected] Today 2:37 PM

Did this person go from chatting via Messages to their browser and chat through Google Chat?

I couldn't find anything in the support pages about the color in Messages in OS...it is all about Messages in iOS.

C

chas_m

I know what the difference is between green and blue messages in iOS Messages on my iPhone.

Green means that the text was sent as a regular SMS message.

Blue means it was sent as an iMessage.

The difference is based on whether the recipient has a) a Mac or iOS device using Messages and b) registered their phone/email to accept iMessages. For people meeting those conditions, you'll see blue messages, which means it is being handled by Apple and is not counting against any limit you might have on texting from your carrier, since your carrier doesn't "see" those messages.

Many people have unlimited texting so this may not matter that much -- till you travel. Then iMessaging will save you a FORTUNE over roaming SMS texting ...

I couldn't find anything in the support pages about the color in Messages in OS...it is all about Messages in iOS.

Messages works the same (as far as iMessaging goes) on both platforms. It sounds to me like your recipient changed from using an iOS device to using their computer or Android (or just switched to GMail messaging).

OP
T
Reaction score
Okay...must have switched from Messages to using Gmail in the browser for chat since this person was not using their phone at all at the time.

I was using Messages the entire time so maybe that is why it switched colors for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.