Should I wait untill intel chips hit to switch?

A

Abrodzinski

Alrighty after typing a lengthy post and accidently middle clicking my tab i'm going to try this again!! :eek:

Ok I am a graphics design student wanting to switch over to the mac side. I need to buy a workstation by this fall but i'd like to switch asap. but with the intel chips on the fringe should I wait to see a price drop? if so how much do they usually drop?

I am looking at either:

G5 dual core 2.0ghz
1gb ram (soon 2gb more 3rd party ram)
250gb hardrive (soon 2 or 4 drive raid arrau @ 1TB)
23" cinema display

or an apple refurb G5 dual 2.7ghz
512mb ram
250gb drive
23" cinema display

both totaling around $2200 for the tower and $3300 with the display (no discount on refurbs :)

Should I wait and see if the Quadcore will drop to 2300-2500 (with discount)??.

I really dont want to wait untill the end of summer but if it means nearly cutting my time in half for rendering and encoding then I will wait. (though I do 95% photoshop / illustrator)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well since most pro apps aren't even available as Universal binaries yet (Photoshop doesn't even have a shipping date), I'd say go with a PowerPC machine if you need to really use it this year...
Even when the apps do start shipping, quite a few things might be slightly wonky in the first year of the transition, whilst the PowerPC stuff just works beautifully now.

OP
A

Abrodzinski

cool thats what I was thinking, plus I didn't want to pay for the pro upgrades lol

So should I get the refurb now before its gone or hold out for the quadcore and hope it drops to 2300-2500 (with discount)??? I am new in the mac world so I don't have an idea of how they lower their prices at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
That refurb machine sounds like a monster, and I would say go for it but I dont know how apple discounts things. Somebody else on here should know, I havent been in the mac world long enough to know how they work. I will say that if you get that refurb you should put a gig of ram or more in it as well. For a monster like that to only have 512mb of ram would be a shame, but I also know how money works and that might not be possible right of the bat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple's prices tend to be fairly steady...
Whenever they release a new product, the old ones are sold off in the refurb section, but the price reduction isn't huge...
The only reason I see for considering the quad over the 2,7 is the PCI-express ports in the quad vs. the PCI-X ports the 2,7 has. (PCI-X was only used by apple,)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
If you need it for the fall, hen I'd wait until Auust to pick something. Not only will the Pro apps hopefully be Intel-native by then, but if you decide to stick with PowerPC, the prices on those machines will go down even more. Who knows? Maybe you'll be able to get a Quad for the price range you're looking at. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Abrodzinski said:
G5 dual core 2.0ghz
1gb ram (soon 2gb more 3rd party ram)
250gb hardrive (soon 2 or 4 drive raid arrau @ 1TB)
23" cinema display

I know a guy who teaches a broadcasting class and uses five of these and there great. I'd say only wait for the Intels if you want to pay less.

OP
A

Abrodzinski

Cool, I think i'll go with the dual 2.7, it seems to be the better deal.

What is PCI-X ....is it compatible with all current PCI express cards/accesorys? or just a faster version of PCI?

Although I just checked their refurb page and the dual 2.7 isn't available right now....hopefully it will be soon :(

After looking into the benchmarks the Quad G5 STOMPS all over the dual 2.5's and 2.7's, doubling performance over a dual 2.5 in creative apps....now comes the hard part....should I wait or spend that hard earned cash..... :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Go for this one. And if you do decide to wait for the intel version... You may want to wait for Version 2 of the Intel machines. Just my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Abrodzinski said:
Cool, I think i'll go with the dual 2.7, it seems to be the better deal.

What is PCI-X ....is it compatible with all current PCI express cards/accesorys? or just a faster version of PCI?

Although I just checked their refurb page and the dual 2.7 isn't available right now....hopefully it will be soon :(

After looking into the benchmarks the Quad G5 STOMPS all over the dual 2.5's and 2.7's, doubling performance over a dual 2.5 in creative apps....now comes the hard part....should I wait or spend that hard earned cash..... :/
No PCI-X isn't compatible with PCI express.
But most cards aren't mac compatible (yet) anyway, since apple just introduced PCI-express on the powermacs.
There are a number of PCI-X cards for the powermacs though...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.