cant repair disk permissions using disk utility on my external drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I use to be able to, but now I cant repair permissions on this drive using disk utility. cant figure out why? only thing that is different is that I'm using this drive as a time machine backup now. is this the reason its not letting me now?

owners enabled is off, where its on for the drive that lets me rebuild permissions.

any ideas? thanks

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
disk utility use to check this drive until I started using it for time machine backups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
So you're saying the drive still has a bootable OS X installed, and has the folder /Library/Receipts available?

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
has a bunch of folders created by time machine. several layers deep inside those folders is a library folder. the drive use to be bootable, it may not be now that Im using time machine. when I used carbon copy cloner for backups, the drive was bootable and I was able to repair disk permissions on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Cloning software such as CCC and SuperDuper installs a bootable copy of the OS. TM does not so no repair is available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.