'Get Info' on HD not correctly displaying available space

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro 15" retina with 750 GB SSD. There is currently 225 GB free (as shown in Disk Utility, as well as in About This Mac > More Info... > Storage) However, when I do "Get Info" on my HD, it tells me that the Capacity is 750 GB, Available 377 GB, and Used 373 GB... With just minimal changes made to the HD (e.g. downloads of no more than a few GBs, or deleting just a few GBs worth of files), the "Available" shown in the Get Info window for the HD will sometimes vary significantly (between the low 300's to the low 400's), when the actual amount available is still in the low 200's range... Why is it doing this, and is there a way to get the Get Info to display the correct available space (without having to check via About This Mac or Disk Utility)?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you by chance running Time Machine? If so, it sounds like the discrepancy may be due to Time Machine storing backups on the drive when you are not connected to your normal Time Machine drive. OS X Lion: About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

You can temporarily stop this behavior by turning off Time Machine when away from your backup drive. It is also possible to turn this feature off so that Time Machine behaves as it did before Lion. Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions 30. What are Local Snapshots?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.