Mail.app keeps asking me for my password

Reaction score
I've got a Hotmail account linked to Mail.app and it has this annoying habit of asking me for my **** password even when I keep ticking the "Remember This Freaking Password" check box. Additionally, even when the correct password is given, it still bounces back and prompts me to enter the password again (with the message ..something something rejected the password"). How can I force it to not ask me for my Hotmail password in the future?

Nicholas

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I ran into that same problem with GMail. The way I solved it was to access the server directly at the web site, changed my password, and then went back to Mail and changed it there also. It worked. I don't know if it will work with Hotmail but you can give it a try. I got rid of my Hotmail account long ago because it was such a pain to keep up with Microsoft's nonsense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I've got a Hotmail account linked to Mail.app and it has this annoying habit of asking me for my **** password even when I keep ticking the "Remember This Freaking Password" check box. Additionally, even when the correct password is given, it still bounces back and prompts me to enter the password again (with the message ..something something rejected the password"). How can I force it to not ask me for my Hotmail password in the future?

Hi Nicholas - this seems to be a common complaint w/ the Mail app - check HERE for some discussion and potential fixes.

I've own my r-MBP for about 5 weeks now and have Mail setup w/ my Yahoo account - I occasionally get the bouncing mail icon to confirm my password - quite irritating the other day w/ its frequency! Early last month I left a post in another forum w/ many responses verifying the problem - probably relates to password confirmation @ the mail server end was the conclusion - now, I've not yet tried the previous recommendation but will add to my list of potential solutions! Good luck & let us know if you find an answer - will likely help others - :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know it's been some time. I've tried all your suggestions dozens of times, in addition to verifying and repairing the keychain. In the beginning it seemed to solve the issue but came back after a couple of weeks, but not so serious (once a day, perhaps). However of late it has degraded into an insanely frustrating and annoying process whereby after I enter my correct goddamn password over 20 times, promptly rejects it and after awhile just sits there disconnected.

The question now is no longer how one can solve this ridiculous bug.

I would like to ask some of the chaps here what other lightweight mail all is out there that is most similar to Mail.app sans the stupid password bug, and how should one transfer 4 accounts and 14000 messages?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,
Nicholas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
Hey Nicholas!

Let me first apologize for not having an answer for you re: a lightweight Mail proggy, but I can promise you I'll be watching this topic.

This password bug hit both my iMac and MBA this past week for three days. I spent over an hour with an T&T rep yesterday and she admitted that some of my problems were probably on THEIR end due to them updating their servers with Yahoo. She was able to change my passwords on all three e-mail accounts I have, and then I was able to log in to their website and change them all back.

So far, so good, with one annoying problem. Now, I have to take each account Online to get my mail, and after it hits my mailbox, the accounts automatically go offline.

I am so ready to ditch this Mail proggy. Before I came over to Macs (over 4 years now) I used Eudora on my PC's, a program that was simple yet nearly bulletproof. I'd sure like to have one that easy to run on my Mac! :)

Cheers!

Pat

I'll be watching this topic! ;-)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thunderbird Mail (and news reader) free from Mozilla. Download from here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
Thank you, chs! I'll go do that now. And a newsreader too? Cool!

Cheers!

Pat

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi chscag,

Thank you for your timely reply. Just in time, because the issue has degraded from an annoyance to constant, incessant d1ckery; I cannot get into my email accounts at all. It's been 3 bloody hours and it is still rejecting my passwords. I have a good mind to shoot a strongly worded letter to the person responsible for this. Productivity has gone down the drain this past week, time wasted logging into freaking email accounts. If I had a boss I'd been bloody fired for coming up with such a stupid excuse.

Edit: Just installed Thunderbird. Went straight for the import function, picked Apple Mail, and let it do it's thing. However when it was done nothing appeared to have changed, no new accounts on the left pane, no inbox/outbox/draft folders for said accounts. Just a folder called "Apple Mail Import". So I opened that and found all my past email messages from the 4 accounts. RSS feeds are missing. And it appears Thunderbird didn't import the accounts; it just imported all the stored messages and dumped them right there. Like that's going to be real helpful. How do I get things back to the way they were in Mail, with the separated accounts and their respective folders on the left pane and all?

Cheerio,
Nicholas

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sometimes the import feature in Thunderbird does not work correctly and the fact that Mozilla has a new version of Thunderbird deployed every couple of weeks doesn't help.

Try the instructions from this web site: LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.