iPhone 4S not showing up in iMac Finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black 2.2GHz 160GB HD 4GB RAM
My iMac isn't "seeing" the iPhone as a device in Finder, which really slows down the transfer of image and video files from the phone to the computer. The iMac was seeing the phone in Finder initially, but no more. How can I fix this?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am using iTunes for downloading apps and music, but I need to upload pics and audio files from the phone into the computer. Don't think I can use iTunes for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No but you can use iPhoto, or Image Capture to upload the images from your iPhone and audio files will goto iTunes when you sync the iPhone with iTunes.
To be honest though, i have never had my iPhone or iPad Mini show up in Finder.
If you haven't got iPhoto, then navigate to Applications>Image Capture, open it and then in the left column down the bottom, it will have "Connecting this iPhone" then below that a drop down "Opens" and select Image Capture. Then every time you connect the iPhone, Image Capture will open and give you the option to download the Images from phone.

And how does it make it slower when not showing up in Finder ?? :confused:

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhoto isn't seeing the iPhone and neither is Image Capture. When I boot up Image Capture, it says "No camera or scanner connected."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
iPhoto isn't seeing the iPhone and neither is Image Capture. When I boot up Image Capture, it says "No camera or scanner connected."

I would be checking your cord you are using to connect to your Machine, as well as trying the USB with another device to make sure the USB is working.
From here, its just a matter of fault finding now and see what we come up with.

Do you open the Apps then connect your phone, or do you have you phone connected then open the Apps ?? Does it show up in iTunes ?? If it does, and now i know you have iPhoto, why not use iTunes to do all your syncing as Chas_m mentioned in post #2 ??

Do you have iCloud set up as well ?? If so then you should get the Photo Stream magically appear with all the pictures in iPhoto when you open it up. Then you dent need to Sync or upload/download your images..

Tell us what you have set up, What iOS is on your iP4s, what OS you have on your Mac as well. We need as much info to help you out, and it would be good for you to put them under your Avatar ….

More info, More help :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.