More Sorting Columns In Finder?

Reaction score
In Windows, I would use explorer a lot to manage files. i was wondering if there's a way to sort by the Id3 tags like in windows? I would like to sort by title, date, ect. Is there anyway to do this? I've installed Path Finder which is a big improvement but I still don't see that feature in it either. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try using a "right" click on the columns you wish to sort in Path Finder and then select from the menu it presents. I just tried it in Path Finder and it offers many options, more so than the Windows file Explorer.

OP
I
Reaction score
I've done that but the options are limited. I want to be able to sort by the Id3 tags within the files, ie. artist, title, year, ect. I know this could be done in iTunes but these are files that I keep out of iTunes and need a way to sort in the finder.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't believe you can sort that way with either the Finder or Path Finder. There may be another third party app or Apple Script which can do that. Perhaps someone else may come up with a solution for you, so stay tuned.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you sorting by one criteria at a time or more complex searches with multiple criteria? You might find Smart Folders useful. Give this a quick read and see if it helps. Focus on the intro/how it works and"Smart Folders".

Edit: If you find that you are often performing a particular search with the same rules you can save that folder and merely change the keywords next time it is run.

OP
I
Reaction score
Are you sorting by one criteria at a time or more complex searches with multiple criteria? You might find Smart Folders useful. Give this a quick read and see if it helps. Focus on the intro/how it works and"Smart Folders".

Edit: If you find that you are often performing a particular search with the same rules you can save that folder and merely change the keywords next time it is run.

Thanks for the response but Smart Folders won't work for this. It doesn't allow me to point to specific folders to sort.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am gonna work on that a bit. I thought I had figured out how to do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.