Where did all my disk space go.. Help!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alum. 2 Ghz
Hey all! If anyone could help me with this problem, theres about 200gb of "Other" taking up my disk space, and while restoring is out of the question for me, I was wondering if anyone could help, Iv used various disk cleaning programs but nothing gets rid of it

SCREENSHOT: http://gyazo.com/4c356660d24904ad220e72f47d4eac95

Any help is appreciated

Vinnie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Find out for yourself what's taking up the space by downloading the free "Disk Inventory X" from here.

C

chas_m

For the record: "Other" simply means "files that do not fit any of the categories already listed." On any system, you're going to see a lot of "other." The system, libraries, documents, etc.

Here's the profile of my drive, and I know every file that's on it:

Screen Shot 2013-05-05 at 3.48.35 AM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I've used various disk cleaning programs but nothing gets rid of it

That could be part of the problem. Uninstall those immediately! There are none that have been demonstrated to be of any benefit, and some cause all kinds of problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
For the record: "Other" simply means "files that do not fit any of the categories already listed." On any system, you're going to see a lot of "other." The system, libraries, documents, etc.

Here's the profile of my drive, and I know every file that's on it:

View attachment 19032

Hi Chas_m et al since my question is general - from your disk usage diagram (and that of the OP), you have 7.6% 'free' space remaining - I've always tried to maintain at least 15% free space or more and believe that is the usual suggestion, just for disk maintenance, swap space, and other reasons?

Now, I'm coming from the PC world in the last month and maybe Apple's advice on 'free' disk space is different - not sure. But, I (and probably many other 'newbies' to OS X) would appreciate some advice and comments - my MBP has 256 GB - ALSO, does a SSD drive make a difference vs. a standard HD - sorry for the simple questions but still learning - Dave :)

C

chas_m

The 15 percent thing is a decent rule of thumb, but I am personally of the belief that the actual amount of free space you "need" for the machine to operate at maximum efficiency varies depending on your workflow. So for example, little old lady who uses her Mac to surf, email and play card games probably doesn't need as much free space available* as someone who processes lots of pictures or video. In the latter case, 15 percent might not be enough.

*ironically it's the little old lady who's going to have 50 percent or more of her drive free at all times. Ay, there's the rub.

But yes, it's time for me to do some housecleaning. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.