• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

animated gif in imovie

Reaction score
i currently have a video that i have edited but i want to add an animated character i have built to the frames, to overlay the video, not to become a separate frame.
so that they are integrated into the same frame.

so that the video plays in the background and the animation appears in the corner at the same time, a bit like a logo or watermark but i still want the animated motion involved.

how do i do this?

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
As far as I know, iMovie doesn't take animated gifs. You'll have to convert it to a video file(Quicktime would be best for iMovie), and then you can use the Picture in Picture option to do what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have found a youtube video on how to get a GIF into iMovie here. It is v/ basic, but i can't find how to overlay a GIF onto a Movie at all, without going into the FinalCutPro type of App that cost $$$.
There is plenty out there with GIF's in a KeyNote/Power Point presentations.

I found something from another thread here in M-F that mentions Animated GIF's into video using………… Quick Time 7 Pro for a lot less $ than FCP. . . . There are a lot of tutorials out there but can't find a specific one atm.

HTH some

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.