App updates says I have other accounts...I don't

Reaction score
I have 2 apps that for a very long time have shown up in the App Store as having updates available (Pixelmator and Kindle).

When I got to update them I get the following message:

You have updates available for other accounts
Sign in to XXXXXX to update applications for that account.

The thing is...I am signed into XXXXXX account.

Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
This might sound like a silly question, but have you tried signing out of your Apple ID in the App Store, closing the app, then signing back in?

OP
T
Reaction score
Sound advice and I should have tried that.

Alas...I just did but it has not fixed the problem

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Do a google search for the specific account it's requesting you sign in to.

Put the whole statement or most of it in quotes for the search.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Did you buy them through the MAS ?? If so do what bob has said to do.
If not …….
What i have seen before is people have gotten these Apps off a particular torrent site, and because they have been electronically signed to the person that bought them, when they go onto your system, they are still electronically signed to the person that bought them, and that iOS how the MAS still see's them, so no matter what you do, the only way to fix it, is too completely delete the App, with ALL the associated files ((AppTrap) will help with that) then pay and re-download them.
Im not in any way pointing to you saying you did torrent them, but this has been one problem i have seen with another associated account to a certain App/s

Cheers

OP
T
Reaction score
Do a google search for the specific account it's requesting you sign in to.

It is my account that it is telling me to sign into. And I only have 1 account.

Did you buy them through the MAS ??

I did. The Kindle App was downloaded onto my first iPad (1st generation) which I no longer have. The Pixelmator App was purchased for my MBP through the store.

C

chas_m

Okay, hold on a second. One of the two apps you're saying you have updates for in the **Mac** App Store is a Kindle App for the iPad?

Nope. Try again on that one.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah...that doesn't make sense. O:)

Here is the clarification. I downloaded the Kindle app for both my iPad and my MBP, from the respective app stores, as I was reading a book on both devices.

Just opened the Kindle app on my MBP and it shows my Apple ID as the registered user from October 18, 2011.

Then...I was doing some more searching online and came across others that have had the same issue. Here is a post discussing the problem and some potential solutions.
Mac App Store Error: “You have updates available for other accounts”

This isn't entirely identical to mine but I should be able to figure it out.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have the same issue on my iMac, I installed the Twitter app some time back using my single Apple ID and it had been updating without any problems for a while and then recently it's stopped updating. I get the badge on the App Store icon and when I go to the updates tab it lists Twitter as the application but hitting "update" gets me the cryptic message about signing into the other account to update it. Interestingly any other updates all work fine, it's just this one app that's stuck.

Since I don't use it much, I haven't bothered to try to fix it and the link provided by "trolle" deals with people who DO have two Apple ID's or multiple instances of an app, and my (and I pressume "trolle"s) case is not either of those..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Maybe both of you try downloading the 10.8.3 combo update and see if you gety any joy.
Im finding more problems doing the By the MAS Updates and top it off with a Combo (i have the bandwidth) and seems to help fix glitches ?!?! Cant hurt :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
And amazingly, I was prompted about the Twitter update again tonight and I once again asked it to try to install and for some strange reason it took. The only difference was that since the last time I tried to do the update, I have restarted my machine..

OP
T
Reaction score
Well...I finally got around to contacting Apple Customer Service and low and behold...I actually have 2 Apple ID's and I didn't even know that.

One is the beginning of my email before the @ symbol...the other my entire email address.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It does happen if you have changed your email address a second account is set up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.