Disk utility problem

A

andyorb

Hi

Just upgraded to 10.4
(VERY slow booting up compared to 10.3 - any advice on speeding that up I'd be grateful)

Tried to repair disk permissions and keep getting:
"Disk utility has lost connection with the Disk Management Tool and cannot continue. Please quit and relaunch."

TIA

Andy

Powerbook G4 800mhz, 10.4.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Try enabling root user in Netinfo. Log out and log in as root. Run permissions repair as root.

OP
A

andyorb

MacsWork said:
Try enabling root user in Netinfo. Log out and log in as root. Run permissions repair as root.

Thanks.
Tried that - exactly the same sadly...

Andy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you by chance do anything with your "Previous Receipts". This can have a serious affect on Disk Utility. It's basically what it uses to determine proper permissions.

Reaction score
cannot repair permissions

I'm having the exact same problem myself.i saw this thread suddenly quit.Did you manage to solve your problem?Please share so i can do the same.
MacsWork said:
Did you by chance do anything with your "Previous Receipts". This can have a serious affect on Disk Utility. It's basically what it uses to determine proper permissions.

OP
A

andyorb

edzz said:
I'm having the exact same problem myself.i saw this thread suddenly quit.Did you manage to solve your problem?Please share so i can do the same.

Still the same I'm afraid.
I know other people with the same problem.
Hope Apple might come up with a fix - soon.

A

Reaction score
go to your system/library/recipts and remove any itunes recipts to your desktop.
then repair permissions.
save the itunes recipts in a backup folder.
this works.

Reaction score
permission problems solved

yes i solved the problem.I trashed anything with itunes from library/receipts but left alone the itunesphone driver.pkg and the itunesx.pkg as was suggested to me on another forum.Worked perfectly.Many thanks,edzz

OP
A

andyorb

I have tried all that has been suggested and still it doesn't work.
Is there any way of finding out at what point Disk Utility gets an error?
Are there any other receipts worth removing?
I haven't done anything to the receipts apart from the suggested fix btw.

A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could move half the receipts to a temp location and try DU. Then try it on the other half. Kind of like the old OS 9 extension conflict resolution.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What version of 10.4 are you at? I would down the combo update of the version you have and then install it over your current install. Hopefully that should resove your problem.

Reaction score
I've tried all the above and still cant get verify permission.

I took out the files in HD/library/receipts

I get a "No Valid Packages" on Disk Utility and -9997 cannotSetWidthOfAttachedController on other programs.

Thanx

Reaction score
Disk Utility error fixed my moving mail.pkg OSX 10.4.11

You could move half the receipts to a temp location and try DU. Then try it on the other half. Kind of like the old OS 9 extension conflict resolution.

Thanks! That worked, kept doing it til I found that mail.pkg was the problem. So now disk permissions are repaired, but what do I do with mail.pkg?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.