• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Trouble copying home movie DVD VTS .VOB file to Desktop

Reaction score
Hello,

First off, please forgive my ignorance, I'm relatively new here.
I'm trying to transfer my home movies to my iMac to edit a movie for my niece's graduation. I used a VHS to DVD conversion deck (I have VHS, miniDV, 8mm's). I read that i needed to copy the VTS .VOB files from the DVD to my computer. It worked on one of the DVD's I made. I keep getting an error message "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “VTS_01_1.VOB” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)". I don't think I did anything different during the transfer on each DVD so I can't figure out what went wrong.
I was able to use HandBrake to transfer the .VOB file to mp4 on the first (good) DVD. I'm not able to use Handbrake directly from the DVD.
I also tried to use old software I bought a few years ago (iSkySoft DVD ripper) but it won't work there, either.
I'm going crazy because I only have a few weeks to get this thing finished.
Any help (step by step, in non-geek English--Remember, I'm new! ) :Blushing: will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Michelle

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might wish to try Handbrake instead. Download a free copy from here.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Unless I am misreading the OP HandBrake is a no go on this particular DVD. Take a look at the disc to see if it is dirty/scratched. You might try MPEGStreamclip. if the disc is bad/scratched it may have the same problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Oops, I missed that. Thanks Sly, but Handbrake should have worked.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's why I was wondering about the discs.

@OP If the discs seem to be ok try using a different optical drive if you have one. Sometimes one drive will read a disc that another drive won't read.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for replying.

I thought it might be a disk problem so I made another copy but it still didn't work. I tried using my laptop to transfer the VTS VOB file to its desktop. I was able to copy there and use HandBrake however, when I played the mp4 that HandBrake converted it was just a black screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.