Macbook air RAM is down. How to recover HD data ?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Could anyone guide me on how to recover the data i have on my HD ?
I have a Macbook air 2009 model.
Macbook Air screen went crazy yesterday (lots of vertical lines, pixels and color and freeze).
I turned the computer down and it won't restart (just a series of long beeps..).
Brought it to apple store this morning, and they said it is the RAM. It needs to be changed.

The cost of changing the RAM is too expensive (280 use) in my view.
I would like first recover the data/files/photos from the HD. How can i do ?
Could anyone provide me with some basic step by step info on how to proceed or a link to explanations ?

Many thanks !!

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you Rabbitjetta. Apparently on this model, replacing the RAM means replacing the whole motherboard. I am not too confident i can do this.
But, taking out the hard drive seems pretty easy. Then if i am successful at doing this, after that how can i access its content ?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If the machine isn't booting up, then no you can't get access to the HD. The other option is Target Disk Mode, see if you can at least attempt that. If so, if you have another Mac then you access the data on the MBA..

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Ashwin,
Unfortunately the 2008-2009 models do not come with the T mode. :-(

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ahh, in that case your only option is to take the MBA apart from the iFixit link provided already and take the HDD out..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Your MacBook Air uses a SATA 1.8" 4200rpm hard drive. They do not use an interface common to 2.5" drives, it takes a flat flex cable. You would need to source a suitable adapter or transfer the HD to another compatible MBA.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.