Console Errors, Random Shutdowns and RAM.

Reaction score
Hi, twice this morning my iMac has randomly shutdown completely. Not gone to sleep, but completely switched off. For the past couple of days, I've been looking at the console as I've regulary been getting thousands of messages within hours, some relating to the Twitter app(?), some to Contacts/Calenders AOSKit errors, some referring to the Kernel and some completely random ones.

I've been checking console because of high RAM useage, Kernel_Task uses up to 1.5GB within hours with little open. (Low CPU usage, though)

As a little experiment, I created a new user account. I've had about 50 Safari tabs open with various sites, Spotify, Mail, Contacts, PS and even GarageBand for good measure. I've got about 2GB completely free after a couple of hours. Usually, I'd be down to double-digit MBs by now....(It happens that quick.)

BTW, it's a Late 2012, 27" base model.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The fact that an almost new iMac is completely shutting down for no apparent reason would seem to indicate a possible hardware problem. Instead of worrying about what's going on with the console, I think it's time to make an appointment with your local Apple store genius and have them diagnose the problem. Your machine should still be covered by warranty.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm literally miles/hours away from my nearest store - So I can't really drag a gigantic iMac with me for the 2 hour train journey :/

Though it hasn't shut down since, the OS is now completely unresponsive. However, the new user account which I'm now typing through, is running beautifully.....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For future reference, you can take your iMac to any authorized Mac dealer - repair facility and will be covered by the warranty. Or at the least, call Apple support and they will authorize you to ship it to them for repair. Perhaps not the best solution, but something you need to know.

If your machine is now behaving itself by you using another account, I suggest making a backup of all your data while you can. Use Time Machine and an external hard drive or you can using cloning software - Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.