“Local only” connection for Vista-based HP laptop with Airport Express

Reaction score
Hi,

First off, I want to say that I’m aiming to purchase a Mac in about 6 months, but in the meantime, I’m stuck with an older HP Pavilion laptop running Vista.

I had to get a new wifi setup, so since I’m planning to switch over to Mac soon, I decided that getting an AirPort device was a smart idea to make things easier.

Using my iPhone and the AirPort Utility app, I have the AirPort Express all set up. My iPhone and iPad Mini work perfect. As for my HP Vista laptop, it sees the wifi connection and actually DOES connect to it, but the connection is “Local only,” marked as “Unidentified” and does not allow me to visit any web pages when I open a browser.

I’ve tried a bunch of different things based on suggestions on different forums, but nothing has worked. When I was troubleshooting, I did find that my laptop connects fine if I turn off all the security settings on AirPort and leave it as an “open” connection. I can get online and surf every web page with an “excellent” connection. However, leaving an open wifi connection is not a good idea since I’m currently living in an older apartment building with thin walls.

So the problem is definitely some sort of security setting that is preventing the computer from accessing the connection fully. I just cannot figure out what it is. I’m sure it is something very simple, even though it has wasted many precious hours trying to get it resolved. Please post if you have any suggestions.

Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So the problem is definitely some sort of security setting that is preventing the computer from accessing the connection fully. I just cannot figure out what it is. I’m sure it is something very simple, even though it has wasted many precious hours trying to get it resolved. Please post if you have any suggestions.

How old is the HP Pavilion? From memory the older models would only do WEP encryption. Your new Airport Express is designed to do WPA or WPA2 which is likely the reason it works when you turn off security. Why don't you use an older router (if you have one) temporarily until you get your new Mac. Or just hook the HP up to the Airport Express via ethernet cable. That way you won't need security.

OP
N
Reaction score
How old is the HP Pavilion? From memory the older models would only do WEP encryption. Your new Airport Express is designed to do WPA or WPA2 which is likely the reason it works when you turn off security. Why don't you use an older router (if you have one) temporarily until you get your new Mac. Or just hook the HP up to the Airport Express via ethernet cable. That way you won't need security.

Thanks for the reply. The Pavilion is from 2008. When I check out the AirPort connection settings on Vista it says that it is WPA. And while I haven't used wifi much with this laptop, I've had no problems creating a temporary ad hoc WPA wifi connection to allow other devices to use the internet that comes through the laptop's ethernet cable. So I'm guessing that the computer is capable of WPA.

I could try the ethernet cable but it's not the most convenient since I'm trying to move the laptop to a different location.

Thanks for the suggestions!

OP
N
Reaction score
Still haven't gotten anywhere.

Connecting to an ethernet cable is my last resort because I'll need to go purchase a new one and will have to place my laptop in an inconvenient place.

As for a WPA or WPA-2, I'm 99% certain that my computer can handle it. Again, the computer is old, but it lists WPA, WPA-2, along with WEP as options in the networking settings. And, as I said, I've been able to create numerous temporary ad hoc wifi connections using WPA-2 Personal.

I also tried typing in the hexadecimal "pre-shared key" that the AirPort Utility app provides. My computer connected but still with a "local only" access.

I cannot wait to get a Mac and be done with these sorts of headaches! I just don't have the money at the moment to purchase one.

If anyone has any other ideas, please share. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.